Saturday, April 20, 2024

Tea Time

Leaning on the order bar in my tea and coffee shop I sighed as the last of the morning rush was finished. Hearing the sink in the kitchen running I walked in and said to my assistant Cathy, "Just a few more days and the dish washer is going to be installed. I am also going to go get more dishes as well so we do not have to worry about running out."

Cathy looked up and said, "Make sure you get the dish washing pods that way we can toss and start instead of measuring."

"Add it to the list on the fridge," I said.

Hearing the door open to the shop I walked out to see a man in a business suit waiting. Walking up I smiled and said, "Welcome how can I help you?"

"I want to buy your building," He said.

"It's not for sale," I said. "So unless you want coffee, tea or food I would ask you to move aside as you have a line forming behind you."

"Your not going to see what I am offering you?" He asked.

"No way this building has been in my family since the town started," I said. "Besides its a prime location and I love that I live upstairs and I have tenants in the other shops in my building who are thriving. Why in the name of the gods would I want to sell?"

"I want your building that you own," He said. "That's why."

"Well-" I said.

"Matthew," He said. "Here is my card."

"Matthew," I said. "I would ask you leave now. Thank you for your card since I have your name your curse is incoming."

"Oh a curse," He said. "Some hick town cafe owner is going to curse me?"

The man behind him said, "Hick town? Buddy you have it wrong this girl owns the national Blog called Tea Time. I bet you gave her some Tea to spill when she updates later today."

Looking at him I said, "It says on the door coming into this shop gives me permission to post about you if you are to be a reason for gossip."

"I will sue you," He said. "That sign will not hold up in court."

The woman sitting at the counter said, "Yes it will. Especially since you have to see it as you open the door."

"Lady," He said. "Keep out of it."

She stood up and said, "My name is Katherine and I am a state prosecutor. The sign will hold up in court as it also is stated right next to her register. Oh Angie you attached it to the register didn't you?"

"I sure did Katherine," I said. "No more Karen's throwing it across the room."

She stuck a five in the tip drawer and said, "Well Angie thank you for the entertainment as usual. I will be looking forward to todays interaction. Michael I would suggest you leave. You are only going to add to what she is going to post today."

He gave a frustrated growl and left the shop. The next customer in line said, "Angie I love the entertainment you have here. Can I get four coffees and four sandwich packs."

Laughing I said, "Sure thing Gus. Any cream and sugar?"

"Can you put a few on the side for me," He asked. "I have two new guys and do not know how they drink their coffee. We are off to the next site in a few."

I placed the coffee's in a carrier and the meals in a large bag while I said, "Your total is $21.75 slide your card when your ready."

The next one in line was Mrs. Sylvie. She said, "Angie is there something wrong with the site? I was trying to read to the home residents and it would barely load."

Cathy came out and said, "I will run the orders go check. You know Mrs. Sylvie does it to keep the residents calm and in touch with  the world."

"Thank you," I said. Running upstairs to my computer I loaded my website and saw that it was running very slow. Checking the blogs storage space I discovered it was just about at 100% with comments and feedback. Looking to see if I could upgrade I discovered that I was at the maximum amount allowed.

 My boyfriend Charles came in and asked, "Babe you alright you look frustrated?" 

Looking at him I said, "No I am not. Apparently I am at max capacity for the Blog. I cannot post and people cannot comment until I remove some of the older posts and comments."

He gave a low chuckle as he made a sandwich and said, "Well you know you have been wanting to write a book based off tea time. Why not take the tea and start with the oldest post that has had no comments in the last three months and move it a book. Then you can add the most popular comments after it. Then you would remove the post and comments from your site to free up space."

"I am going to have to," I said. "Let me see if it will let me add a disclaimer post that I am fixing the issue in the next two hours."

Thankfully I was able to put that disclaimer up on the site and then I went downstairs to the shop which was packed with people asking the same thing. Cathy looked at me with a help look. I walked over to two of our weekend employees hanging with friends and asked, "Can you do me a solid. After I make a announcement Cathy is going to get slammed but I have to fix the blog. Can you clock in for a hour or two and give her a hand?"

Kyle and Mike looked up and said, "Sure."

Getting on a chair I said, "Everyone can I have your attention."

Everyone turned towards me and Charles came next to me steadying the chair. Looking around I said, :I have an announcement to make."

Mrs. Sylvie looked up and called out, "Did you figure it out?"

"Yes I did," I said. "Mrs. Sylvie told me the blog was not working and I found out why and it should be fixed in the next hour or two. But the reason it is running slow or not loading is because we have maxed it out. Through the company that hosts the Blog has no more upgrades so I cannot add anymore. But never fear there is a solution to that and its that I am going to remove older posts."

I heard a voice call out, "But then we can't go back to read them."

"Actually," I said. "You will be able to. I have been playing around with writing a book based on the previous posts and ten to fifteen of their top comments. So todays incident has has prompted me to do so. So in a few minutes I am going to get upstairs to start removing posts that are not very active. Once I remove the posts I will remove all the comments to go with it. That way you can get back to reading and commenting. The book will be available for purchase as a e-book or physical book on Amazon. With each post I remove you should have a better experience on the site. Please give me a few hours to start working on it."

Cheers went through the shop and Kyle said, "Angie we can stay so you can get the site working right. We were just hanging out with friends and can be here instead."

Mike was bussing tables as he said, "Yeah we got this. Besides you know that we will be busy once that book gets published. Everyone is going to want you to sign a copy."

Cathy came out with my large cold cup saying, "I made you a large ice coffee. Go get started we have everything ready for today and the guys are here. Fix the site before everyone goes feral on us."

Heading upstairs I sat at my desk and write a introduction to the book. Then I went onto owner view and pulled up the metrics on each post starting with the oldest. Looking at the metrics I went to the first one that had no comments in three months and copied it to my book file creating a title banner. Then after the original article I copied the top fifteen comments. After that I saved the post on the book and removed it from the blog. Working hard for two hours I got the blog back to ninety-five percent. 

Standing up to take a break I went to go downstairs and Charles caught me coming into the apartment. He said, "Write you post about the guy who wanted to buy the shop and the announcement for the book. Cathy told me to have you keep working up here she has prep going for tomorrow. Kyle and Mike have the front of house under control.

Working for another two hours I saw that the book was at two-hundred pages. I decided to write the conclusion and submitted it to Amazon. Then I refreshed the blog and saw I was down to eighty-three percent. Looking at the screen I said, "You have got to me kidding me only eighty nine percent?"

Charles came in and said, "Are you alright?"

"After posting the newest tea I published the first book and it was two hundred pages," I said. "I set the hard cover price to the most expensive drink I have which is 8.99 and the e-book at 3.99. Babe I am still only at eighty three percent."

He laughed and said, "Well then I guess you have a series and your on Tea Time part two now. How many posts do you have on the blog?"

"After the first book I still have 1300 posts," I said. "Not including the comments."

"Well I guess then you have some work ahead of you," He said. "Before the guys leave you may want to see if they can come in tomorrow while you work on it more. I will go get some pizza for dinner so you can do more. Take a break for now it's almost close time."

Checking my email for a moment I saw that the book was official on Amazon. I made the official post in the blog and ordered four copies of the book. One for me, the store, Cathy and a spare. Going downstairs Kyle said, "You do not look happy Angie."

Smiling I said, "I am alright can you and Mike come in tomorrow and help Cathy?"

"Sure," He said as Cathy said, "What's up?"

Laughing I said, "The first book was published and I still have thirteen hundred posts. We are around only around 89 percent full. I need to get that down to at least seventy percent if not lower."

Cathy said, "We got you Angie. Work on it tomorrow and we will run down here. Also we are going to be selling out of a lot tomorrow. So be prepared."

I helped with the last of the closing tasks and handled the drawer for the next day. Taking the remaining cash upstairs I added it to my hidden safe in the floorboards. Going back downstairs I said, "When I do the grocery run on Sunday I will buy extra supplies, with the sale of the book I have a funny feeling we may be busier than normal."

Cathy said, "That sounds like a good idea. Oh the lunch packs we made today sold out as well as a lot of the baked goods. I think us adding the lunch packs to the menu were a good idea. I know we are selling only a bit of in house baked goods but I was thinking maybe we should add a soup and a salad to the menu. We can make it fresh daily and once we sell out we sell out. We have room for the supplies in the fridge and we can store the premade salads or tuna and egg salad sandwiches in the display cooler and add the soup to a crock pot to keep it warm. Especially since we are going to be getting cooler soon."

"Wouldn't we need to buy bowls?" I asked.

"No we use the take out containers for salads for the salads and sandwiches," She said. "Then we sell the soups in the coffee mugs. That way we do not need to have more dishes. I think the baked goods, lunch bags, and if we added salads and sandwiches we could bring more in."

Nodding I said, "Make me a list and we can try. If those work out well we can always add more to the menu. I was thinking about the mini quiches, meat meals and easy meals that we can make and put in a hot case that would hold well in smaller portions. We could use tin foil pans and the paper baskets."

Cathy laughed and said, "Well after you clear more of the blog we can test everything out and see what we can do. You will see everything at the store before me and I am guessing we can rotate the menu to different things every day. We can meet up earlier than normal on Monday morning if you want to see what we can do. I bet we could easily sell out the hot and cold cooler as well as the baked goods rack daily."

"After Sunday if the food sells well enough we may have to start multiple shopping trips a week," I said. "We will remain the same no special services just more food offerings. If someone gives the your a restaurant comment you tell them no we sell snacks and light fare but are not a restaurant. We do not serve at the table people pick up at the counter. If we do not have it we do not sell it and we do not promise more to come out."

The guys and Cathy nodded. I handed everyone an extra twenty and said, "A little bonus for handling the emergency we had."

"Man Angie," Mike said. "We were just happy with the extra hours. Also we can pick up more shifts now that sports are over and we will be on summer vacation. Just give us a call."

"I will," I said. "You guys have a great night and have fun with your friends. Cathy you get some rest."

When they left I locked up and mopped the floor to the stairs leading up to the apartment. Going upstairs to the apartment I sat down and designed a new line of tea shirts. The front read Tea Time. The back read, Stay for the Tea- Now a book series. I ordered a bunch of various sizes and colors and placed the order. When Charles came back with the pizza I was almost done with the second book. He saw the new shirts and he laughed. What a way to advertise."

He opened the box at the table and sat across from me doing some work. I had finished the second book and set it to publish. Looking at the percentage I realized we are at only 79% free. Starting the draft for the third book I made a quick announcement about a updated menu coming soon and book two being sent to publish. Then I dropped the pictures of the new store merchandise. When I was ready to start book three I had the sale link and ordered the four books again. Then I started to work on book three. My plan was between tonight and tomorrow to get to at least 50% capacity and then as I start to fill up I will work on the next books. Adjusting the setting to the least commented and active posts and made quick time of removing the older posts from the site. I finished the third book and started the fourth when I got to the goal of fifty percent. Doing one last update for the night Charles asked, "Want to go for a walk?"

"Yes," I said. 

Grabbing my shoes we headed down the back stairs to walk the roads near our community. Since we lived in the down town area there is always something happening any time at night. When we walked past Mitgin's Pub the property buyer Michael was thrown out. We side stepped him and he slurred yelling at me, "You all think your high and mighty not selling your little piece of history. Well change is coming and wait till it hits you in the face. I will take pleasure in ripping your signs down and throwing you out of the buildings. Post that for all you hicks to read."

Charles looked at me and said, "He is drunk lets go."

As we walked away he called out, "I will own Tea Time one way or the other."

When we got home I posted about our interaction on the blog and headed to bed. When I woke up the next morning I went downstairs before Cathy arrived and started setting up using up the food we had in the cabinets and pantry. When she arrived she said, "Angie you think you went a bit over board?"

I pointed to the TV that held the main page of the blogs and you could see all the posts and comments that kept appearing. Her eyes got big and I said, "No panicking all the food and snacks are prepped and in the correct cases ready to go. I am going to Winn Dixie when they open and getting a few more easy things and then once the boys get here I will go to Sam's and we are going to put your theory to the test. Before I go to Sam's Club I will have more than enough food ready to go. Don't you worry."

Mike ran in the back door and said, "Angie go to the store these people want to celebrate all three books. Some of them are setting things for expedited delivery. We are going to be slammed all day."

Grabbing my purse from behind the counter I pulled out the car keys and checked for the cash. Cathy said, "Go Angie we have this you have almost everything set up. Gosh you even have the prices on the board as well!"

Getting in my truck I headed to the local Winn Dixie to get things for the store. First going through frozen i grabbed a few easy cook and serve, Then I went to the deli and bakery for a few things to add to the menu today. Making sure I had extra coffee, tea, cocoa, waters as well as plenty of cold drinks to add to out cold case. 

When I got back I heard Mike explaining they were out of a few cooked items and cannot guarantee what would be replacing it. I placed Mini Quiches in the oven and made a few hot ham and swiss sliders along with pigs in a blanket. Cutting the pies I got I placed them in cold case containers. I updated the price board via out tablet and added everything that just came out. As the hot food finished I brought those items out adding them to the board. Adding all the drinks to the case and filling up the cold case with finger sandwiches I placed out all the food and drinks I got before two. I made the announcement that there would be no more food restock today as we have everything officially out. All items and drinks for sale are on the board along with prices.

Cathy and I stepped into the back and she said, "Wow you really did get a bunch and cooked it all."

"Yeah I marked the prices up 40% off the cost of the ingredients," I said. "I think you are right about what will sell. I am thinking of different soups and hot sandwiches. I am also considering making all new breakfast sandwiches and burritos. May the odds be in our favor. But my friend you will be  getting your way as well. The open back wall is going to be a big freezer and a smaller fridge as well to go with the two we have. I also am buying a second air fryer and a larger toaster oven. When I say super shopping trip you will be amazed."

There was a knock at the door and Charles said, "Delivery for your new fridge and freezer babe!"

We helped him move the appliances in and he also brought in the apartment washer and dryer so we can clean our own rags and towels. After everything was hooked up Cathy said, "This is so awesome. We can sell all the food without a kitchen."

"Yes," I said. "I checked with Katherine as we only pour coffee and tea. All the other foods are premade and packaged to sell. The soups may be packaged also in the hot case. But that is an idea I am toying with. You will see."

Charles said, "Babe this new island and shelf where do you want them?"

"Near the fridges and freezer," I said. "That way I can cook and prep right here near the additional stove as well. Where is that?"

He laughed and said, "On the patio back here. I wanted to get the fridge and freezer in first. They need to get cold and you need to clean out the other fridge/freezer combos."

Cathy laughed and said, "Charles she cooked everything up we had. All fridges and freezers are 100% empty."

Kyle came in and said, "Speaking of we have a bit of a problem Angie."

"What's up," I asked.

"Granny circle came in and all wanted desert and are mad we only have what's left," He said. "They want the manager."

Walking out I said, "Ladies what can I help you with?"

Susan raised her nose and said, "There are eight of us and none of your deserts have eight of the same kind."

Nodding I said, "Susan really you all ain't getting a discount. You are here every week and we never keep things behind the racks or counters. Its not a set menu and as the sign say's once its gone its gone. As the Tea Time released three books in the last twenty four hours we have been extremely busy and I even restocked everything. What is on the board is all that's left. Now you are holding up all these people behind you. The rest of your group doesn't seem to have a problem about the food offerings and they are packaged. You know we are not a restaurant."

Another member of the Granny circle said, "Come on Susan stop making a fuss you have already been banned from most cafes and you know Angie is going to use this as Tea later today. If you cannot decide let us through."

Susan looked at her and said, "Bitch."

As she walked out the door Gretchen said, "Hey dear I am buying for my ladies today so I want a pepsi and a slice of that pie."

Cathy kept adding everything to the tray and after Gretchen paid I carried both trays to their table. I said, "Now ladies we are adding a bunch of new things to menu to try out. So you make sure you check back with us when you have your weekly brag sessions to see what we have."

Gretchen laughed and said, "Angie you should know by now we come for the tea and visiting. Whatever nibbles you have are more than fine. Susan has been a handful lately and we are done with it."

As I headed back to the counter I heard Kyle call out, "Hot case is closed. Low on cold and desert foods. Plenty of drinks and nibbles."

Making a list of stores I was going to shop at Charles came over and said, "Remember I am meeting up my with brothers tonight to do some night fishing."

"Okay," I said. "When I get this list done and post the lates tea I am going to start my shopping. I am going to go to some stores today so I can maybe prep a bit for the week and get ahead of ourselves for Monday."

Peeking through the door Charles said, "Wow there is almost nothing left."

Mike called out, "Deserts and hot foods are sold out. Almost out of drinks and nibbles."

Cathy called out ten minutes later, "Alright everyone we are sold out please remember your welcome to sit and chat till four but the counter is closed and we will be cleaning up and putting chairs up for t he night as people leave."

Mike went out and flipped the sold out sign. Him and Kyle started cleaning the cases as Cathy cleaned the tea and coffee pots. When she was done she went to the bar to put everything back and a guy was standing there snapping his fingers. I was following her and went to him and snapped back at him.

"Sir why are you being rude to my employees," I asked.

"I demand service," He bellowed.

"Sir your wearing a suit so I assume you can read," I said. "Do I need to make the sold out sign bigger?"

"Your a restaurant," He bellowed, "You do not sell out."

"Wrong again," I said. "We are a cafe and yes we did and do sell out."

"Useless," he cried.

"No I am very entertaining and this interaction will be on my website along with a few others from today," I said as patrons cheered.

"Do you know who I am," He said. "I am a district attorney and I will sue you."

"Not illegal," I said. "Signs are on the door and at every table and literally engraved on the register. By coming in here and starting crap you give me permission. Now if you would have read not only the sign on the door that stated sold out and the one right below your hand that stated sold out you could have saved yourself the embarrassment."

He went to say something and I pointed to the sign again and the tea time sign. He went to open his mouth and then closed it leaving the building. Cathy gave the one hour till close warning. Everyone started to leave and the guys cleaned everything up and when the last person left I added the guys to a few extra days the following week and then everyone left. Running upstairs Charles was getting ready  to go fishing later that night and I told him I would see him later. Sitting in the car I looked at my list of stores- 

Publix, Asian grocery, Aldi, Sam's Club, Winn Dixie, Dollar Tree, Walmart, Restaurant Store

Looking at the clock I said, "Easy as pie."

Going to the Restaurant Store I loaded up on a lot of the containers and everything I thought I could use at the cafe. Going through the frozen, dairy and premade section I went back and grabbed even more containers to prepackage all the foods. Heading back to the cafe I brought everything in and organized it in the back group. Making sure to place the containers on one shelf and the food items separated. Locking up again I headed to the Asian Grocery. I filled four carts and added a bunch of new items to the menu. Then I headed back to the cafe to unload.



Publix, Aldi, Sam's Club, Winn Dixie, Dollar Tree, Walmart, 

Angie- main  Charles-Boyfriend

Cathy- assistant Kyle and Mike- weekend workers

Katherine state prosecutor, Gus- Construction,

Michael- property buyer. Susan- Granny circle

Mitgin's Pub- 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The House

When I turned eighteen years old just over a week ago I inherited a house. Not just any house but the most haunted house in town. I had not ...