Monday, April 22, 2024

Rise of the Unexplained

Oh I love the phrase I told you so. Why? Because I have said it so often these past few months that I can be dancing and singing it and it will never get old. Am I bragging? You best believe it. Now what am I bragging about? That monsters live among us. Growing up I would be the child that said someone is creepy or my inner security system would go off. But no one would ever believe me. Then one day I was doing my obligatory dinner at my parents house and there was an emergency alert that the president was going to be addressing the nation. We all gathered in front of the TV and the president came on the screen.

I looked at my parents and said, "He looks nervous."

Dad looked at me and said, "I wonder if they are going to announce that we are at war."

Then the President spoke, "My fellow Americans this broadcast will be viewed world wide. First let me say this is not a joke and you are all given the order to stand down."

Mom sat next to dad and said, "Holy shit Frank you may be right."

The president said, "For the last few years the governments of the world have been hiding a secret from you. The creatures we called fairytales and cryptids are real and they walk among us. They are your neighbors, co-workers and friends. They have been given the word of national leaders that they will not be harmed."

I put my hand up and my Dad slapped all his cash into it and said, "I owe you a few hundred more."

Watching the screen the press was going crazy. Standing up I said, "Well now I am guessing you do not want to get dinner."

My Mom was clutching her bible and said, "Grace how can you be so calm the devil walks among us."

"Mom," I said. "Do you think that anything that's not given praise in the bible is evil?"

"Yes," She said. 

Dad looked at her and said, "Mary calm down. What if some of  the people you know are not of the human variety?"

"Nice Dad," I said fist bumping him.

She looked at him and said, "How can you be so calm?"

He chuckled and said, "I have a theory on a few people and they are good people. So what if they are different as long as they do no harm what is the problem."

"Frank they are evil the bible say's so," Mom whined.

"Mary that's enough," he bellowed. "Now Grace and I are going to get dinner and if you want to join it us you can or you can stay here and hide. But let me make this clear there will be no hate in this house. You will still go to work is that clear."

Mom ran to her room and slammed the door. Looking at Dad I said, "Mickey Pizza since its just us?"

Dad laughed and said, "You bet kid. Meet me there I have to stop at the bank I have a debt to pay."

Getting to Micky's it was almost empty. When I walked in I discovered why. Sitting at a table there was  a family with horns and a few assorted creatures around the restaurant. Waiting to be sat Micky himself came out and said, "Grace my dear you came at a great time."

Micky looked taller and more wide I said, "Okay Micky spill it what are you?"

Dad walked in and said, "God Grace you have no filter. Micky man can we get a booth for two."

Micky laughed hard and said, "Frank my boy, your Grace has had no filter since she could talk. She always asked me what I was. Grace to answer your question I am a Golem. The follow up to your question because I know you I have four hundred and forty years old."

Dad handed me a few hundred dollars and micky raised his eyes. Dad said, "One night at that booth right there we had discussed cryptids and creatures that could exist. I made the foolish bet that you did not exist to pacify Mary. I lost the bet."

"Well now that you know you want to eat here?" He asked.

"Micky you are just not human your still a good man and have the best food around," I said. "So same booth?"

Micky led us to the booth and asked, "Same starters as usual?"

"Yes," Dad said. "Also can you please add a fried calamari. Since it's just us we can have it."

"Where is Mary?" He asked.

"Hiding from the monsters," Dad said. "She is in our house clutching her bible."

"Man I feel for you," He said. "Don't worry I will get them in. Have boxes for Grace at the ready and will be back in a bit to get your mains."

Dad and I sat talking as Micky dropped off our drinks and bread. Looking at Dad I asked, "Dad what are you going to do about Mom?"

He sighed and said, "Grace things have been bad between your Mom and I for a while. I asked her to go to a counselor with me but she won't she is insisting on doing counseling with her church. We went to one session at her church and the pastor basically told me since I was not a man of god it is not a surprise that our marriage is having trouble."

Looking at Dad I said, "That is shit you know."

"I know," He said. "She refuses to go see a counselor outside of the church."

"What are you going to do Dad," I asked.

Sighing he asked, "Do you have room in your house for your old man?"

"You can have the apartment over the garage," I said. "I just have to move the boxes stored in there to the main house. You can paint it and it has a kitchen, bedroom, living room and bathroom.", 

He laughed and said, "Yeah I may just come by and paint it this weekend. Grace when I get home I am going to give your Mom one more chance to see a professional counselor. If she declines I will walk away until I see my lawyer and get the I's dotted and T's crossed."

"Well I am off tomorrow so I will get it cleaned out," I said. "Did you want me to leave the furniture?"

"Yeah," He said. "I was planning on giving your Mom the house and half the savings. But knowing her she will get the church involved and they will come after me for everything."

"Well Dad my job is going good and my house is almost paid off," I said. "You taught me well. Besides my art and writing are picking up momentum. Besides I have some shows coming up."

As we talked the little boy with the Demon horns came over clutching a book. He said, "Excuse me."

Moving to the end of my seat I was sitting at I turned to face him, "Hi sweetie what's up?"

"I do not want to bother you," He said. "But can you sign my book?"

Getting excited I asked, "You are reading one of my books?"

He smiled and said, "I love your series The Hidden Ones. I just got your newest one and my Mom watches your website to see when more of your books are coming out."

Reaching into my bag I asked, "What is your name?"

Smiling he said, "My name is Sam."

Taking his book I wrote inside and signed the book. Handing it back I said, "I am working on the next book now Sam and once it is ready I will have it announced."

He said, "Thank you"

Turning back he headed to his family. I caught her Mom's eye and she mouthed, "Thank you."

I nodded and she got excited when he returned and showed her my signature. Micky came over with our starters and he said, "Thank you Grace. With our kinds coming out and no longer using glamour I worry for our children. You made that boys day. But if your in a signing mood. I picked up Wicked Wishes for my wife as a gift and I would love for you to sign it. Now what would you like for your mains?"

We ordered our mains and we heard Micky go into the back and call it out. As we ate  Micky cam out and I wrote a note inside the book and signed it. We started eating our mains and the watched as more people came in to eat. I smiled because Micky deserved to have no problems with the announcement. After we finished eating Dad packed up all the leftovers and handed them to me. After saying our goodbyes Dad walked me to my car and he said, "I will call you tomorrow but I am guessing I will need the apartment over the garage."

Giving Dad a hug I said, "I will get it cleaned out. Just buy whatever colors your want. Swing by on  your way home and see me. Let me know how it goes."

Getting into my car I waved to my Dad and headed home. When I pulled up in the driveway I saw my neighbor Mr. Mack outside sitting on his porch. He called over, "Obligatory family dinner?"

"You know it," I said. 

"Grave you have a moment to talk with an old man," He asked. 

"Sure," I said. Placing my food on the hood of the car I went over and sat next to him. Looking up I asked, "Are you alright?"

"I am a Fay Grace," He said.

"Alright," I said. "I am a human and your an awesome neighbor who I worry about."

"Oh Grace," He said. "I am glad your not bothered by all this. A few other neighbors will be coming to seek you out as well."

Smiling I said, "Mr. Mack when they are ready I will be there to talk with them."

He patted my hand and he said, "I will never be as young as you again. But be prepared to see me look like I am in my forty's alright."

"No judgement here Mr. Mack," I said. "But out of curiosity how old are you?"

"In human years I am 2300 years old," He said.

"Well you look great for your age," I said. "But I have a busy day tomorrow so I am going to go eat the desert Dad got me and head to bed alright."

He took my hand and said, "I hope everyone will be as understanding as you."

I waved goodbye and grabbed my food. Going into the house I placed the leftovers in the fridge going up to my room after locking the house up. I flipped my TV on and laid in bed falling asleep with tomorrow looming ahead of me which I know will be busy.

*******************************************************************

Waking up later than I expected the next morning I saw a text from my Dad that read, "Well Grace love I tried talking to your mom last night and I am going to pick up paint for the apartment. She refuses to see reason and told me she was quitting her job if there was other worldly creatures. I told her she best have a way to support herself because I will not provide her money. I spoke to my lawyer and he is starting the divorce paperwork now. I stopped at the bank and moved half the savings to an account in my name already and shut off her use of my credit cards. As of today she will have to make her own way."

Waking up I went to start coffee and clean out the apartment over the garage. Thankfully it was mostly just extra boxes from the holidays and took them up to the attic. As I sat down to eat some of last nights leftovers my phone rang. Looking at the screen I saw it was my mom. Picking up I said, "What's up Mom?"

"Do you want to have lunch with me I just quit my job," She said.

"Mom are you crazy why would you quit your job," I asked putting my food back in the fridge.

"Because my boss was a monster," She said.

"Really mom what kind of monster?" I asked.

"It shouldn't matter but she is a Dragon Kin," She said. "Like she can turn into a Dragon."

"Okay so you had a bad ass boss and you left a job that you have worked at for over thirty years, months before you could retire," I said. "Because a woman you knew almost the entire time can turn into a kick ass dragon. What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Grace," She said. "You are as ungodly as ever."

"Hold on Mom I got a call coming through," I said as I switched the line. "Hello?"

"Hello is this Grace," the voice asked.

"It sure is how can i help you?" I said.

"Grace my name is Amira you moms Boss," She said. "Your mom went into a rage today when she found out what I was."

"Oh the kick ass Dragon lady?" I said.

She started laughing and said, "Well I see you do not share your mothers out look."

"God know," I said. "I was just giving her the third degree for quitting."

"Can you please tell her she will lose the full payout from us for her retirement," She said. "But for employer contributions she will still will receive 60% package from us. Its the best we can do since your mother went crazy in the office and damaged a lot of things. We will also not be pressing charges but she cannot ever come back here. We will be shipping the paperwork and her belongings to her house. Please tell her she has to sign them and return them back to us in seven days and the over night envelope will be provided."

"Amira," I said. "Thank you for your generosity. I will tell her now when should everything arrive?"

"Later this afternoon I am sending it via currier," She said. "Thank you Grace for your assistance. Also may I ask are you the Grace Martin that writes the Hidden Ones?"

"The very same," I said.

"My kids love your books," She said. "But I will let you get back to your mom just please know that church your mom is with is horrible. They are more of a cult instead of a church and the feds are looking into them."

"Thank you for the heads up," I said. Switching back to my mom I said, "You still there?"

"What took you so long Grace," She said.

"Mom I do not agree with how your acting," I said. "So let me get this all out. Your EVIL Boss just did you a solid and got you 60% of your retirement package. You deserve nothing after the damage you caused in the office. Now you have 7 days to send it back in the provided envelope and you will have an early retirement. But let me make this clear you have turned into a monster since you started that church. A church which I heard is being investigated. So you have a choice either your family or church but we will NOT bail you out when you get fucked over by them is that clear."

"How dare you young lady," She yelled. "I am your mother."

"The very same mother who caused my fiancée to die in a car crash because he was trying to pick you up from that church," I said. "What did you say to me at his funeral. It was gods will. Fuck you mom he was a good man who tried to get you since you were bitching about having to wait for the bus. If you would have chosen me instead of the church service you would have been at my engagement party and he would still be here today."

"Grace," She said.

"No not Grace Mom," I said. "You want to call people who are different monsters. But you dear mother are the monster and until you get your shit together do not call me."

Hanging up on her I sat there fuming for a few minutes. The doorbell rang and I opened it to Dad standing there. He looked at me and said, "Grace love what's wrong."

He put down his bags and opened his arms and I stepped right into them. After I cried my eyes out he steered me inside and placed the bags on my kitchen table. He sat me down and asked, "What is wrong?"

Taking a deep breathe I said, "Mom called. She told me she quite her job because her boss is Dragonkin. Halfway into our call I get a call that came through and it was her boss. She gave Mom 60% of her retirement package and gave me instructions to give Mom. Dad she destroyed the office she is lucky she was not arrested. Then she yelled at me for taking so long and I unloaded Dad. I mentioned Tom and reminded her that its her fault he died because she chose that church which by the way is being investigated, instead of being at my engagement party I told her not to contact me until she gets her shit together."

"Well come here I got us philly cheese steaks and then I am going to paint the apartment," He said. "You channel that rage into your writing."




Grace Martin- Main
Frank- Dad   Mary-Mom
Tom- deceased Fiancée
Micky- owner of pizza place, Golem 440
Mr Mack Neighbor- 2300
Amira you moms Boss

No comments:

Post a Comment

The House

When I turned eighteen years old just over a week ago I inherited a house. Not just any house but the most haunted house in town. I had not ...