Sunday, April 21, 2024

Bump In The Night

Growing up I hated this house. When we moved in I knew there was something off with the house. We had just moved from an apartment on Bay Ave in New Jersey to a house on Bay drive here in Florida. Why did we move? Well the apartment complex in New Jersey was being torn down by the owner. When my parents told me we were finally moving back to Florida I was so excited. The apartment complex was haunted and I wanted a fresh start where I didn't hear or see things every night. So when we pulled up to the house on Bay Drive I felt the same hair raising on the back of my neck and asked, "Is this was really where we were going to live?" 

My mother looked at me and said, "Do not start with your shit."

Looking at her I said, "You don't think its weird we moved from Bay Ave to Bay Drive?"

She looked at me and said, "This is your only warning do you here me? Your Aunt and Uncle found this house for us and we got a real good price on it."

Seeing my Aunt and Uncle pull in I went to walk over to them and said, "I wonder why."

When I got to my Uncle Mart he pulled me into a hug and he leaned down asking, "What's wrong sweetheart?"

Leaning against him I said, "This house gives me the creeps."

He looked concerned and said, "Did you say something to your Mom and Dad?"

Giggling I said, "Yeah to Mom and I am guessing you know what she said."

He sighed and said, "Angie your going to stay at our house the next two nights because the power cannot be turned on until Monday. Talk to Aunt Maggie when we get there she walked the house as well, you know she will be honest with you. Now lets get this U-Haul unloaded so we can get home, Aunt Dee made lasagna for dinner."

Uncle Mart tossed the keys to my Dad and my Dad opened the front door to the house. I could have sworn I heard the house breathe. A few of my cousins showed up and they started to unload the U-Haul. My sister and brother sat in the living room coloring and I walked through the house. I went into the back room and saw the sliding glass doors that lead to the back yard. It had massive trees that backed up to a wooded area. A chill went down my spine and I went to look for my room. 

When I went to my room my Mom was setting up my bed next to the window and she said, "Angie you need to keep your thoughts to yourself. The rents are different from New Jersey and we are lucky we could get it."

Nodding I said, "Alright Mom. Will we be seeing Grandpa Richard now that we are in Florida?"

She said, "We don't know. Do not bother your Dad about it. If it happens it happens and if it doesn't then deal with it."

Nodding I walked back to the kitchen and then walked to the TV room. Looking around the yard it gave me the creeps. As it was late afternoon I could have sworn I saw shadows move through the trees. The yard felt crowded to me and except for the front of the house the home was surrounded by trees. Watching the trees I heard a whisper, "You should not be here."

Then I felt a hand on my shoulder and I jumped and screamed. My cousin Kevin was laughed and said, "Woah, Ang didn't mean to scare ya. You seemed to be concentrating."

I laughed and said, "This is so different than back in New Jersey. I think its the trees. My old room overlooked the main road."

He nodded and said, "Your mom still the same way?"

I nodded in case she came through to eavesdrop. Kevin got the hint and said, "Lets go see what they want us to bring in." 

When I was in the house I felt like there was a chill in the air but when I went back outside I could feel the warmth of the sun on me and breathed a sigh of relief. The air outside was warm and comforting. Aunt Dee said she had to get stuff from the store and told my Mom she was taking me with her. Mom would not dare argue with my Aunt. As we pulled away from the house I could have sworn the shadows around the house seemed deeper and took more shape.

My Aunt asked me, "Are you alright?"

"No," I said. "I do not like that house Aunt Dee. It feels like someone is watching us."

She nodded and said, "I am sorry sweetie we found a place that we knew your parents could afford. With your Dads job history and track record with Jobs we needed to find a place that your Mom could handle."

Nodding I asked her, "Have you heard from Grandpa Richard?"

She sighed and said, "Yes and he is so mad at your Dad. He misses you sweetheart but you know how your Dad is."

"Yeah," I said. "At least there is no bar in walking distance now."







No comments:

Post a Comment

The House

When I turned eighteen years old just over a week ago I inherited a house. Not just any house but the most haunted house in town. I had not ...