Friday, December 29, 2023

Kindle Vella Novel- Hiding From The World

 Kindle Vella Novel Coming In 2024

*******************************************************************

Looking up from my computer I could have sworn I just heard rain in the distance. Standing from my chair I went to the door and said, "You have got to be kidding me."

Grabbing the basket I had by the door I ran outside and started to grab all the clothes drying on the close line. The thunder started to get louder and I yelled out, "You best hold off until I get this inside."

I hurried to grab all the clean laundry and as made it to the porch the first raindrops started to fall. Opening the door my cat Jinx meowed at me and ran into the kitchen. Looking at my grandfather clock I sighed realizing it was almost dinner time. Looking at Jinx I said, "You are impatient."

Stoking the stove so the fire would start to burn more I grabbed the pot I prepared that morning and started to heat the soup I had prepared that morning. Feeding Jinx I decided to watch the storm and grabbed my camera. I took pictures to add to my blog Hiding From The World. Going into the house I loaded the pictures onto my computer and when I got to the last picture I noticed there was a human shape hiding in the trees. 

Grabbing my shotgun I made sure the doors and windows were locked. Looking in the direction the form was I looked to see if there was anyone there. I did not see a person but I did see a dog in my yard. Being miles from nowhere it worried me that someone dumped that poor baby in the woods. Grabbing my rain coat I went out the door and called the poor baby to me. He ran to me and looked frantically back at the woods. Then I heard it a small call for help. Now I know what your saying indigenous people say do not go to the calls but the dog was whining and trying to go back to the sound. I grabbed my shotgun and said, "Come on boy take me there."

Walking to the edge of the tree line I called out, "Where are you?"

The dog ran to a tree a few feet away and barked for me. Laying against the tree was a man. He looked at me and said, "Help."

Well shit okay. I asked, "Can you stand?"

He tried to get up and I slung the shotgun over my shoulder and said, "Lets get you up to my cabin. What is your name?"

"Mike," He said. "They fucking shot me and tried to kill Brody my dog."

"Okay Mike lets get inside and you can tell me everything," I said. Half carrying him to the porch of my property. When we got to the porch I sat him down and said, "Lets get you inside."

Putting him in a chair at the table I said give me a second. I ran outside and grabbed a bucket of water washing away the blood. When it was cleaned I went inside and did not see much blood. I help Mike take off his jacket and said, "Okay Mike we need to check your wound. Who shot you and why?"

"My cousin shot me," He said. "He told me if I would not do a job for him he would end me. I called his bluff and he shot me. Is Brody okay he has been running with me for two days now."

"Jesus," I said. "Brody is okay he is next to the fire. Once he rests a bit I will give him some stew I have in the cabinet. But lets worry about you first listen I am going to move you to the bathroom in my room. If they are tracking you I want you out of sight. Besides I will need to clean your wound I want the blood down the drain. If they show up here you need to get in the loft and behind the boxes with Brody. The stairs are small but you can get up those stairs."

He nodded and I went into the loft and grabbed a pair of sweats and t-shirt. Helping him out of his shirt I saw the wound and said, "Well its a good thing your cousin is a shit shot. This went through and through and missed everything important."

"How do you know," He asked.

"Because I used to be a nurse in the emergency room," I said. 

"You now live in the woods?" He said. "That must be some story."

Shrugging I said, "You could say that. Listen I am going to help you but is there anyone I can call to let them know your alright?"

"Not at the moment," He said. "I am afraid they might go after my Dad is they know I am alive."

"Understood," I said. "Okay so this is going to hurt. I rolled up these rags for you to chew on. Once I get this taken care of I have some weed in my room you can smoke. Now I want you to sit in the tub and lean back. Grip the tubs edge and bite down."

I disinfected the wound and watched his visual cues to see how much pain he is in. Then I stitched him up and asked, "Are you alright?"

"Would it sound wrong if I said it hurts but feels so much better?" He asked.

"No I have heard that before," I said. "So listen I want you to rest here for a little bit. Do not stand up I am going to get you some juice and do you smoke?"

"Yes I do," He said. "But I do not want to take your stash."

"I get a stash every time I go into town," I said. "Since I only go to town every once in a while to get a stock of supplies your fine. I have vape pens, flowers, gummies or chocolate."

"Do you have a pipe?' He asked.

"Sure do," I said. I went to my bedside table and grabbed a jar of flower and my extra pipe as well as a few gummies for him to take. 

When I went back to the bathroom I moved a chair next to the tub and placed the open jar, the pipe, the gummies and some orange juice. I laid a shirt and jogging pants on the back of the chair. I walked out and grabbed a bottle of water. When I put that down on the counter he grabbed my hand and asked, "Whats your name?"

"Its Charlie," I said. "Rest I am going to set up a space in the loft for you to rest in. That way if they try to come here there will be no view of you there. Also the stairs up to the loft are a shelf unit that can be moved against the wall when not in use so it looks like its holding nick knacks. I am going to feed Brody and walk him. If anyone asks I found him while hiking and he is mine now unless I see ownership papers."

Going into the pantry I said, "Brody my dude you are in luck I had some dog food in here incase someone showed up lost."

I opened the dry food and then I grabbed a small jar of stew I had done in a mason jar pouring that in his bowl as well. Stirring my soup I heated up some bread in the oven and went to the loft to get it ready for Mike to climb up to. I took the spare mattress and put fresh sheets on as well as fluffy pillows and a think and fluffy blanket. I grabbed a tray and set some snacks and drinks on it as well as another container of weed plus motrin and gummies. I also stuck a fan on a storage container. When I went back downstairs to check on the soup Mike was sitting up in the tub. 

"You doing okay Mike," I asked.

"Yeah I just needed to get out of the tub,"  He said. "Where do you want me to put everything?"

"Go ahead and get changed and I will wash your clothes," I said. "Dinner will be done in a few and I am just going to take Brody outside. The pipe and flower you can leave there on the chair as I put another pipe lighter and flower on a tray next to the bed."

I took Brody out and when I came in Jinx was eating his dinner on the table. I set the table for Mike and me. When he walked into the kitchen he said, "Thank you Charlie what can I do to help?"

"Nothing," I said. "Please sit down and relax while I clean up the bathroom. Is there anything in your pockets?"

"My wallet and my phone," He said. "But my phone is almost dead."

"No worries," I said. I went into the bathroom and cleaned and bleached everything making sure there is no trace of Mike. When I went into the kitchen Brody was leaning against Mike. I took the soup off the stove and placed it on a hot plate on the table. Then I grabbed the bread and put that on the table as well.

"That smells so good," Mike said. 

"Thank you," I said. "Its a basic chicken soup. The bread is homemade."




Charlie-

Mike-






No comments:

Post a Comment

The House 📚Updated 4/30

When I turned eighteen years old just over a week ago I inherited a house. Not just any house but the most haunted house in town. I had not ...