Friday, January 20, 2023

The Cottage

 Growing up I didn't have a real family.  Now don't get me wrong, I had a mom and a dad. I even have a sister and a brother. But I was the unwanted child. I spent a large amount of time with my Grandparents. I was the unwanted child. Please do not think I am not fishing for sympathy. I am not. My sister and brother were the ones who got the attention. But as long as I had my Grandparents I was ok.

My Grandparents had this wonderful cottage in the backwoods of Florida that we would go to all the time. It was a peaceful place that allowed me to be free of my family. I had my own room in the loft above the kitchen. My Grandparents had a room and then there was a guest room. It was nothing fancy, but the peace that the cabin held was amazing.  However, the property around the cottage always had an odd aura to it. As a younger child I would stay closer to the cottage at night. I always thought I was a silly kid afraid of the dark. Sometimes I would see my Grandparents on the porch at night speaking with people who had hiked through or people they said were neighbors.  I never thought anything of it. The people always seemed nice and friendly if I came out while my Grandparents were visiting. When I turned 10 things started to change.  That is where this crazy story starts...

My Grandma decided to have a week long vacation at the cabin in honor of my 10th Birthday. My Birthday was on the second day of the trip. When my Grandma had told my parents that she wanted to take me to the cottage for my birthday my mom said no. When my grandma asked if they had any plans for a party my mom said we never celebrate her birthday you know this. Grams got mad and they argued. My Grams told her if she did not let me go she could expect to not get any loans from her if bills were behind.  (I believe at this point they owed my grandparents around  $15000.) My mom gave in and my Grandmother had me pack a lot of stuff. She had me pack all my important belongings i remember she also bought in a trunk and emptied my closet and dresser of almost all my clothes. She had joked we are going shopping this week as well. 

When we went to leave I went downstairs and no one said goodbye or even acknowledged me leaving. Story of my life with them. My Gramps had loaded all of my belongings into their truck and we were off.  As we headed to the cottage I fell asleep.  I woke up to my Grams telling Gramps that this week was going to be stressful. I heard him chuckle and say, well, we had 10 years to plan for it. I had no clue what was going on but they stopped talking when they heard me stirring.

"Good afternoon sleepy head. We were thinking about stopping for some grub what do you think about that?" Gramps asked.

He was answered by my stomach growling loudly. We all laughed and Gramps pulled into a McDonalds. When we pulled in we heard someone yell, "Fancy seeing you all here."

We looked up to see the Mckellers get out of their truck and walk towards us. The Mckellers were my grandparents' cottage neighbors who live a mile away.

"Grams pulled me next to her and said, "Its Gabbies birthday tomorrow, so we decided to come up and spend the week. She is turning 10."

Mrs Mckeller looked up surprised and said, "Wow won't your parents miss you on your birthday?"

Gramps cut in before I could say anything, "Well. we have had Gabbie for her Birthday for so many years up here its a tradition."

Mrs Mckeller smiled, "Well Gabbie you are a very fortunate young lady who has wonderful Grandparents."

Grams took my hand and said "We are gonna get our food to go. We need to get the cabin set up and Gabbie settled. Tomorrow is a big day and she needs  her rest."

Gramps waved again and we went inside.  It never dawned on me how protective they were until we were on our way to the cabin after getting food.   I shrugged it off and just ate my burger and fries. My Grandparents have always been my biggest supporters and I would not argue with them ever.

When we arrived at the Cabin there was a huge banner strung up on the porch that said, "Welcome Home Gabbie and Happy Birthday!"

I looked at my Grandma and said,  "Welcome home?"

Grandma looked at me so tenderly, "Gabbie, Grandpa and, me have some stuff to talk to you about, but don't worry it is all going to be okay."

I looked at my Grandma and said, "Okay."

We went inside and someone had put up birthday balloons and streamers as well as fresh flowers that Grandma and me both like. I turned around and looked at all the decorations. "Grandma I love it who did you have to do this?"

My Grandma smiled and said, "That's part of what we need to speak with you about---"

A car horn started honking outside. I went to the window and saw my parents in their car with my siblings. My Grandfather looked like he was going to punch my dad. My mom got out of the car with a smug look on her face and walked up to my Grandmother and said, "Hello Mother."

My Grandmother shut the door behind her and I could hear her say to my Grandma, "You know as this place will eventually be mine we decided to come up and spend some time here."

Grandma and Grandpa stood in front of the door and Grandpa started to speak, " Kelly Ann you have gone to far this time. You are not getting this cottage it is Gabbie's and until then everything she is to get when Ma and I go is going to be in a trust that you cannot touch.  She is no longer your responsibility or so help me I will go to the police. We have enough evidence now you will never get away with what you have done."

My mom went pale white, "Evidence? Thats not possible."

Grandpa continued, "Oh its possible and you have till tonight to sign those papers or we go to the police.  Your done Kelly Ann. You have become a monster and after what you did we finally are going to make things right. Now sign the papers."

My mom reached into the car and took out a packet of papers. I saw her and dad signing page after page and then mom handed them to Grandma. "There I signed it and so did James. Now this all goes away right?"

Then we heard a howl in the distance. If my mom couldn't go any more paler.  I heard my sister and brother complaining they wanted to stay and my parents started yelling at them that they had to leave now. I saw Grandma hug Grandpa as my parents were leaving and then they turned to come inside.

Grandpa sat at the table and said, "Gabbie we need to talk to you."

I sat down at the table, "Sure Grandpa. What's going on?"

Grandma looked at me and, "Gabbie I am sure that you noticed that your mom came up here to start some trouble.  Your mom was trying to prevent something from happening. I think its time you learn the truth."

I looked at her and said, "Why does she not love me."

Grandpa sighed and said, "That's because she cheated on your dad and got pregnant with you. Then when she got pregnant she told your real father that she did not want him contacting you.  But that's why we bring you here all the time.  Your real dad contacted us since you were tiny and we have been bringing you here so he could see you."

"Wait," I said. "Who is my real dad?" 

Grandma said, "You will meet him soon sweetie. We are going to live here now and you can see him whenever you want. You can take this as slow as you want to meet him and the rest of your family."

I looked at Grandma, "He is the reason you have the cabin. So he could watch me from a distance?"

Grandpa chuckled, "I forgot how smart you are kid. We knew you deserved a chance to get to know your family from these parts. Your mom was very against it but she knew we had her as your dad and she owe us a lot of money."

"What were those papers that mom and dad sign before they left?" I asked.

Grandma looked at me and said, "I had your parents sign over custody of you to me, your Gramps, and your bio dad."

I looked at Grandma and Gramps and said, "She really never wanted me did she?"

Gramps got up lifted me off the chair and hugged me and said, "No matter what her and James wanted you need to know that we wanted you and your real dad wanted you as well. Never think you are not wanted and loved because you are my dear girl."

I nodded and said, "So my dad who is he?"

"He is a local," Grandma said. "He is the one who put up the sign. I will let him tell you what your mom did to him and his family. But for now, you are going to going to go unpack and relax. We will talk more later on." 

"He wanted me?" I asked.

"Oh yes sweet girl he did," Grandma said.

Sighing I said, "I bet he would have treated me better than mom did."

Grandpa looked at me and said, "Sweetheart you have to understand we tried to do our best to shield you from them but until recently our hands were tied. We will live here now and when your ready you can meet your dad and his family."

"Why were your hands tied?" I asked.

"Because we found out your mom did a very bad thing and as much as we tried to get custody of you we had to have leverage or your mom could have said you were kidnapped." Grandpa said, "I am not going to explain what your mom did now but it was not good."

"Thats why mom was scared," I asked.

"Yes," He said.

"Now," Grandma said. "I think we all need a nap and rest. Tonight we are going to go out for a birthday dinner and I have a special cake for you!"

I got up and headed up to my loft. Grandma was right I did need a nap and was super tired. Laying down I thought about what it would be like to meet my real dad. When I feel asleep I dreamt about a beautiful white wolf that laid with me in the sun. In my dream I felt at peace and calm.

I must have been tired because I woke up to my Gramps shaking my leg saying, " Hey Sleepy head are you trying to sleep through your entire Birthday."

Laughing I said, "No, But I think I was tired from traveling up here." 

I climbed down from my loft and went into the kitchen with Grams. After I got a drink I asked, "So what are we having for dinner?"

Grams said, "Go wash up and put on a sundress we are taking you to a restaurant in town then possibly some grocery shopping."

I hurried up to my loft and grabbed a sundress. I went into the bathroom, washed up and got dressed as I heard Gramps call for me, "Slow poke hurry up I am starving here."

Walking into the living room I said, "Gramps I am here. Your the one sitting on the couch."

He started chuckling and said, "That I am. Lets go Gabbie I am starving and I forsee steak in my future."

Grams joined us in the living room and we went to a local steak house to celebrate my birthday. When we arrived we were seated at a table with presents and flowers sitting on it. I looked at my Grandparents and Grams said, "That's not from us. Read the card on the top."

I opened the card and it read, "Dear Gabbie, I cannot believe your 10 years old already. I hope that I can meet you soon but only when your ready. All my love, Dad."

Looking up I said, "Its from my Dad."

Grams smiled and said, "Wait to open until we ordered our meal."

The waitress came over and placed a Princess crown on my head. Saying, "Happy Birthday Gabbie!"

We all ordered out meal and I decided to get a Bacon Cheeseburger with a side of fries and coconut shrimp. Gramps laughed as he said, "You never forget the Shrimp do ya kiddo?"

Laughing I said, "Nope its the best of both worlds."

After the waitress left my Grandma looked at me and said, "Okay sweetheart you can open your gifts now." 

There were 4 boxes and a bag and I opened the bag first. In the  bag was a backpack with dolphins, which is my favorite animal. Them I opened the first box which was the smallest and found a necklace with a dolphin charm. The next box contained a bunch of art supplies. The third box contained a bunch of journals. Then the last box which was bigger i opened it and let out a squeal of delight. Sitting in the box was a brand new laptop. I was so excited and Grams and Gramps were giving me huge smiles. I stacked everything on the table and the waitress took all the wrapping paper away. Soon she returned with our meals. If I wasn't a kid opening gifts I would have noticed a couple tables away a man and older couple were watching me with interest as I opened my gifts. My dad made sure to see me open my gifts and my excitement.

We ate our meals and had a great time. Soon enough we went home to our family cabin. When we got home my Grandma helped me put all my gifts in my room and she told me I could get my laptop out so they could help me set it up. When I opened the box I said, "I think Dad might have set it up because its not giving me any prompts to do anything."

When the computer loaded fully there were games you could not get unless you download them like Minecraft. The main screen had a background that said, "Welcome home Gabbie."

Grandpa looked at me and asked, "What is Minecraft?"

I had Grandpa sit next to me and I started a game. He watch me play and when the game went to night mode he saw his first creeper. He laughed as he watch it try to get me as I was building a house it could not get me in. Looking at me he said, "Okay that's a cool game."

Grandma asked me to end the game so we could have cake. I closed my laptop and Grandma brought out a cake and they sang Happy Birthday to me. We enjoyed an amazing chocolate cake she had got and I think this was my best birthday ever. When I went to bed I set up my laptop in my loft and watched some YouTube to go to sleep to.

When I woke up the next morning I heard Grandpa on the phone with someone, "Yeah Mike she loved the gifts that you got her. She went to bed watching videos on the laptop."




Gabbie 10- Main Grams Gramps Mom (Kelly Ann)  Dad (James) Sister Brother

Mckellers- Neighbors 1/2 mile away.







No comments:

Post a Comment

The House

When I turned eighteen years old just over a week ago I inherited a house. Not just any house but the most haunted house in town. I had not ...