Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Dreams To Reality

 It's funny having a simple mundane job in a small little town to get you involved been such an adventure that your life would change drastically.  I am for every purpose a librarian.  I work little town library.  I have access to wonderful information and get to meet a lot of people.  However, I never thought life would take such a drastic turn when I met Sam.  Sam came into my library looking for a book on the meaning of dreams. Let's just say our dreams are more connected to others than you will ever know.

********************************************************************

After making sure the library was set up for the day I walked over to the door and opened it for the day. I smiled and greeted all the members who were waiting outside the doors. I saw a bunch of books being dropped in the return window and headed behind the main counter to start checking them in. It was quiet for a while and then I heard someone come up to the desk.  

Without turning around I said, "Good morning please give me one moment I will be right with you."

"Take your time," The voice said.

I grabbed the last of the returned books out of the bin and placed them on the table next to the bin. I turned around and looked at the person at the counter. He looked at me at the same time and we both said at the same time, "You were in my dreams last night."

I looked at Sam and said, "That's not possible. How are you here?"

He stood back and said, "Wait what happened in your dream?"

I looked at him and said quietly, "I was at my favorite fishing spot alone up in the state forest. You attacked me and worse."

He looked like he was going to be sick, "I had a dream but I didn't attack you. Quite the opposite actually."

We both were quiet for a second when I heard, "Miss Emma can you help me find a book."

I looked up and saw Mrs Jinger calling from the center of the room. Smiling I called out, "On my way Mrs Jinger."

I turned to Sam and said, "This will take a  bit but if you want to talk stick around."

Walking over to Mrs Jinger I started helping her find her list of books. THis woman was the sweetest woman but she spends h er days reading and always says one book and has a list of about 15-20 when she comes in. I helped her find all the books she requested on her list and took her back to the check out table. After I checked out all her books I turned to sam who had settled in a chair near the desk and had my co worker take over as I went to place all the returns back to the shelf.

Talking quietly I said, "Sam could we have met in passing before today?"

He looked at me and said, "No never that's what the weirdest thing about this is. To be honest your not someone I would have forgotten with your hair and its color."

Laughing I said, "Yeah I get it red curly hair is kinda memorable. But in all seriousness, I do not think I have ever seen you before and to be honest, in dreams, all the books say it's not possible to dream of someone you never met."

Chuckling he said, "Well I guess we are at a standstill because before today I didn't even live in this town and just happened to be going to get a coffee and saw the library. I just moved here to help care for my great uncle who lives around the corner."

I thought for a second? Wait your uncle is Mr Mathews?"

Smiling he said, "Yes he is. He helped raise me when I was younger. My mom is working a lot now so I decided to take some time out of the office and help my uncle. I guess that's the perk of working from home."

"I was wondering why Mr Mathews had not been in lately he loved to see what new westerns we had," I said. "You know we do offer a delivery service if he would like to read while he is ill."

"He has said he wished he had something new to read. Do you think I could check him out some books?" He asked. " I mean you seem to know my uncle well and what he likes."

"Sure thing we will get him a stack to read," I said.

"Now to the business at hand," He said. "Before today I never met you. But I dreamt about you how does that work."

"That I am not sure of," I said as I gathered books for Sams uncle. "But i know someone who might. Let me make a call tonight and see what I can find out."

"Do you mind if I ask who your going to call," He said taking the pile of books I handed him.

"To be honest my Aunt Sadie," I sighed. "She is a witch and she is the only person who might possibly have any answers to the questions we have."

He gave me a weird look and said, "Witch?"

"Welcome to Brooksville Sam. We have witches, shamans and a lot of spiritualists around." Laughing I said, "People think this is a podunk town and in some ways they are right. But this town can be very surprising as well. Now lets get you signed up for a library card and you can be your uncles hero today."

Walking over to the check out counter I signed Sam up for a library card and said, "Here is my number and if your uncle needs anything or if you need help finding everything give me a call."

"Thank you Emma," He said as he took the bag of books. "I will let my uncle know you asked about him and I will check in with you to see what your aunt says."

I watched Sam open a door for an elderly lady as she was leaving and then Cloe my co librian came up and said, "Damn girl who was that hottie you had eating out of your hand?"

Going pink in the cheeks I said, "Mr Mathews nephew Sam. Apparently Mr Mathews has been very sick and Sam is here to take care of him."

Chloe giggled and said, "He can take care of me as well. But damn girl he had eyes for you so I am backed off."

Shaking my head I continued to check in and out books and helped guests. Before long it was time for lunch. I told Chloe I was going to get some lunch and headed to the local produce market to get some lunch. As I waited in line I heard a voice saying. "Your sure your not following me Emma?"

Turning around I saw Sam shopping the produce market. "Nah no following at all. I love coming here for lunch." 

Walking over to me he asked, "Whats your favorite?"

As I was next in line the clerk Mike said, "She gets the chicken avacado bacon wrap all the time."

Laughing I said, "Add a water to that as well please."

Maike rang me up and I headed to a table. Sam followed and sat accross from me. "I wanted to thank you. I gave my uncle the books and he lit up when I told him you picked them out for him."

"I am Glad Mr. Mathews liked them," I said, "I knew before your aunt passed away he would get books and they would picnic under the trees at the tables next to the library. If you use your card you can also preorder books and pick them up. We do that for caretakers who has family members who want to read. That way your uncle can help pick out what he would like."

Sam nodded, "That would be great. Not that I don't like visiting I do work as a freelancer and the company I freelance for has a bulk of it during the day."

"Well," I said. "Remember all work and no play." I said.

He smiled and said, "How about this Friday night my Uncles nurse if there for a few hours. Would you like to have a late lunch with me and we can talk more about those dreams."

"Is this a date," I asked.

"Yes," He said. "It is a date. What do you say?"

"That sounds great," I said. "I get out at four from here."

He went to leave and said, "I will see you then."




Emma

Sam- Secondary Main

Mr Mathews sams uncle.

Aunt Sadie- Emmas Aunt who is a witch

Chloe- Co librain


No comments:

Post a Comment

The House

When I turned eighteen years old just over a week ago I inherited a house. Not just any house but the most haunted house in town. I had not ...