Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Battling for me

I had just moved. After a fairly nasty divorce I decided to move closer to where I worked and I found a trailer in a historic trailer park just a few blocks and less than a half of a mile from where I work. I mean the rent was good, the area was quiet and it was the perfect place for me to start healing. You may ask why was I getting a divorce? Well, that is because my ex went from a sweet and loving man to a monster within a couple of weeks time. The night I found out that I was having a baby he came over due to the divorce and beat me to an inch of my life. My boss Callie had swung by the next morning to see if I was okay because I did not show up for my six am shift. When it slowed down, she put a be right back sign up and drove to my home to check on me since he had shut off my phone. She saved my life. She pulled up and saw my feet from the window and she called 91l. The police broke down the door and medical crew said if I had not been found I would have died. I had four broken ribs, a concussion, fractured arm, broken ankle and I had lost my baby. Losing the baby is what hurt me the most. Because so much time had passed before I was found the doctor said there is a good chance that I could never have a child in the future. My heart was broken.

They found my ex-husband twenty miles away in Tampa on a date while I was fighting for my life in the hospital. He was going to try making the accident look like a home invasion and making sure no one found me before I did die. He had admitted he was angry that I got to work a job where I had fun and made money. My boss Callie just so happened to be a lifelong family friend who owns a coffee shop right next to the towns court house and sheriff office. She allowed her workers sell their art in the windows and display cases of the shop.  The shop got a percentage of the sale and we got to have fun at work and make a few extra dollars. He actually had hidden a large amount of my paintings in the garage with the plan of selling them after I had died as dead artists make more.

I woke up in the hospital alone except for an off duty officer sitting in the room next to me. When he saw me wake up his smile brightened and he said, "Hey, Beth you finally came back to us. Let me go get the nurse and call Callie. She will be so happy that you're awake." He walked out of the room and a nurse came running in.

"Beth you gave us all a scare. You have a lot of people who will be glad your awake." The nurse came in and  She saw my hand flutter to my stomach, "Beth listen to me. You need to stay calm and not think about anything until after you speak with the Doctor okay."

I nodded knowing what awful news I was to be given. Closing my eyes I rested waiting for Callie and the Doctor to come in. After they came in Callie curled up next to me and the doctor explained everything. He said my chances of ever having a baby were slim to none because of the damage I had. Callie held onto me and said, "Have hope Beth you never know what can happen."

I asked her, "Did they find him?"

"You bet your ass they did," She said. "The sheriffs' office took particular pleasure to arresting him for what he did to you. Me and Bob went to your house and had everything repaired and cleaned. My sweet bestie I am so sorry everything happened to you."

I laid my head on her shoulder, "Callie I want him to suffer after what he did to me. He cost me my baby and he needs to feel the hurt he caused."

"Don't worry Beth I assure you he is being treated as he deserves in the jailhouse," A voice said from the doorway.

I looked up to see a friend and sheriff named Marcus in the doorway. He smiled and said, "You are so lucky you woke up I was suspecting she was gonna add some of her energy coffee to your IV soon."

Callie laughed and said, "Do not think I didn't think about it. But Callie we will get you through this. You do not only have me even though I know I am a big deal. But seriously you have the whole towns support."

Leaning on her I just closed my eyes and I knew the tears were rolling down but there was nothing I could do. Callie hung onto me and Marcus came to the other side of my bed and held my hand. I was lucky a lot of the customers became family that week and would be a aunt uncle or cousin when they would stop bye to wish me well and leave me little gifts. 

One day Mrs Susanna a elderly member of the town council came in as she told the nurse, "Put me down as her great aunt and leave us alone."

I sat up a little in bed and she came over and gave me the biggest hug, "Oh my sweet girl I was out west visiting my sister or I would have been here camping next to you until you woke up. Now I am not gonna give you the bull shit line of things happen for a reason and be positive. I know you been fed that crap all week since you opened those brown eyes of yours. I wish I could take away your pain and give you your baby back but I can't but what I can do is is be an ear and tell people to fuck off when they are bothering you."

Laughing I said, "Mrs Sue I cannot thank you enough for your bluntness. I am so happy to see you."

"Well girl I have something for you. From the looks of those baskets I see people have been trying to get you fat," She said as she grabbed a candy bar out of a basket. Then handed me a large gift bag. "While I was visiting my sister and heard the news I started making this for you. I know how you say the colors of fall make you feel better."

I opened up the bag to a beautiful knitted blanket. It was a pattern of orange brown greens and reds. The colors of the fall. I looked up and said, "Oh its beautiful Thank You."

She spoke softly and said, "I know I can't bring back your baby but when your sad you wrap up in this and hold on tight and know you have all of us. I also organized meals for you. Currently that big freezer you have in your laundry room was reorganized and half full of premade meals. Everything has cooking instructions and there is a lot of single serve meals in there as well. By the time we can spring you, you will be able to go home and relax. Callie and I will get your perishable then and anything else you need." 

"Mrs Sue thank you so much," I said. "Now that your here lets have it woman lets have some horrible hospital coffee and you give me all the good gossip including whats been said about me."

Mrs Sue laughed and pulled out a thermos as she said, "My dear girl I would not subject you to horrible coffee while I am here. I stopped by the shop and Callie gave me this as well as some of her croissants, butter and jam. That woman can be a tough gal but she bakes like an angel. Don't you ever tell her I  said that I need to keep the Grumpy granny persona."

You have my word Mrs Sue," I said. 

For an hour Mr.s Sue and I visited and ate the food and snacks she had brought with her. She told me all the gossip around town. At the end of visiting hours she stood up and walked over to me. Taking my hand she said, "Beth you are a strong gal and you will be okay. If you need anything you call me okay."

"I will Mrs Sue don't you worry about that," I said.

She left and I shifted in the bed and closed my eyes to sleep. My life would be different now and I had to accept it but with all the amazing people in my life I will be okay.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following day Callie arrived with coffee and said, "Girl I think I can walk from the spot I park in to your hospital room with my eyes closed. Oh damn girl I love that blanket where did you get it?"

Smiling I said, "Mrs Sue came up to visit me and gossip. She made this for me while she was visiting family after she heard about what happened."

"I knew that old biddy had a soft spot," She said.

"Well don't ask her about it or she might tell you to go to hell," I said.

"Nah As much as she is cranky Mrs Sue is one of the good ones," She said. "I know not to poke the bear."

We both laughed and she said, "We miss you at the cafe. I will be honest with you I did raid your garage and took some paintings you were going to sell as they were in the sell bin and put them up at the shop. Actually your sell bin is empty now as people kept buying your stuff to help you along. I deposited the money into your bank already."

Laughing I said, "Damn. What about the paintings that he stole from me?"

Marcus walked in and said, "Well I guess I read your mind ladies. Thats why I am here.  Beth now that you are awake and Andrew admitted everything he did to you we no longer need the paintings. I was going to ask you where you want them to go to. Due to the amount of paintings Andrew has stolen from you I am going to let you know this was not a act of passion or insanity. He had over 200 paintings of yours. the state will hold it till you can pick it up but we advised your in the hospital and the state is going to allow the county pick up the paintings and bring them to a location of your choice." 

"He always told me that I must be mistaken about the amount of paintings I had," I said. "This is more than a few months during our divorce. These paintings have been going missing for the last two years."

Marcus said, "Two years?"

"Yeah where is my phone?" I said. "Look at these text messaged I have pulled up the other day after you all said that he had a bunch of my paintings."

Marcus took my phone and said, "Give me 10 min I need your phone and have to make a call."

He walked out and I looked at Callie and said, "I think I am going to have them bring the paintings to the store if you can store them. We should make money off of his greed."

She said, "That sounds good to me. I actually turned the old supply closet into awaiting to be sold section and we will stack all your paintings to the back and replace as we sell. Speaking of paintings since we know your going to be in here for at least another week or two I bought you this."

She handed me two big bags from hobby lobby one full of larger canvases and one with smaller canvases and a bunch of paints and a table top easel. "Thank you Callie this will be a great way to pass the time."

Marcus walked in and said, "Beth I had to screen shot those messages where he argues with you about paintings missing with him. He states all the paintings you gave him were gifts."

I looked up and said, "I never gave him any paintings because he used to belittle my art."

Marcus nodded and said, "Okay then I will pass that information along. So when we get those paintings for you where are they going?"

I pointed to Callie and said, "See that stunning woman there? Your taking them to her and she knows how to price them for sale."

Marcus looked at Callie and said, "I guess it will be a date then Callie."

Callies cheeks went pink and said, "Its a date."

I sighed and said, "Lord you two you both wanna go on a date with each other. Be lucky I can't smack the sense into both of you."

Marcus looked at me and said, "Beth be serious."

"I am being serious," I said. "Callie and you should go out to dinner."

Callie looked at me and I said, "Marcus. Take Callie to dinner tonight after you bring her the paintings and make sure she get a decent meal in her since she has been worried about me."






Beth- Main
Callie- Bestie
Bob- Co Worker
Marcus- Shriff
Andrew- Ex
Mrs. Sue





No comments:

Post a Comment

The House

When I turned eighteen years old just over a week ago I inherited a house. Not just any house but the most haunted house in town. I had not ...