Sunday, September 16, 2018

When She Disappeared!

She sat there listening to all her family around her. Her perfect parents and siblings making excuses for her because she had what they considered a mediocre job and life.  If only they knew what she really did for a living, if they did no one would say she was mediocre then!  Her Grandmother came next to her and sat on the couch holding her hand. She leaned over and whispered in her ear, "A bunch of selfish twats aren't they now."

I leaned my head down on Grams' shoulder and whispered back, "If only they knew the truth."

See my job was difficult to explain to normal people! I was given permission to tell only one person and one person only and that person was my grandmother.  She is the only person who visits me at work which everyone else assumes is as a librarian of our local historic library. The truth is I am the records keeper and go to gal for all the mystical creatures located in our town and state. I am their sheriff, I am their get our person, without me they would not be able to live or in some cases survive in the area. My title officially is the peacekeeper. They all love my Grams as she will visit me and in some cases would help in our medical wing because unknown to everyone in my family including my grandfather my grams was bought up by a shaman when her parents were killed when she was two.

My cell phone started beeping which drew everyone's attention to me. The message stated 'Come fast there is a problem'.  My Grandmother leaned over kissed my cheek and said, "Go you know these emergencies can't be handled without you."

I stood up and gave her a hug, "I will call you later on."

I went to the door and my father grabbed my arm, "This is a family event that stupid library can wait."

"Why Dad," I asked. "So you and Mom can insult me. I have to go work needs me and I will see you soon."

"Cait if you leave this house now don't ever come back." He bellowed looking at me. 

I turned to my Grandmother and said again, "I will call you later Meemaw."

With that, I turned and walked into the rain. That was the last time they ever saw anything of me again, or so they thought!

No one in my family saw me again after that night with the exception of my Grandmother.  I still worked at the library, but no one in my family ever reached out to me. Well, except my Grandma that is.  I was at work one day when Steve one of the centuries came to my office.

"Cait I am sorry to bother you but there is an officer here from the local police station and he needs to see you," He said.

I followed him out and saw a local detective standing by the help desk. I walked up with my hand outstretched, "Hello officer, I am Cait McClew I am sorry to keep you waiting. How can I help you today?"

"Hello Cait I am Detective McNeil, I am so sorry to be the one to bring bad news but your presence is requested at St Mary's Hospital. I am under the impression your family did not know how to contact you and your Grandma is in ICU after a car accident."

I grabbed onto the nearest table and had to regain my balance. "Why is she at St Mary's she hates that hospital.  She should have gone to Bridgehaven."

"I am sorry Cait," Detective McNeil said. "Your mother said that was the hospital she would want."

"Detective McNeil my Grandma has a restraining order against her and a few other family members," I said.  "If my mother was there I can guarantee you she did something to cause the accident. I would suggest you pull area cameras."

Steve handed me my coat and said, "Marcy is on her way up from the archives lets go to see Grams and get her moved to Bridgehaven. I called the hospital and they are initiating the transfer."

"Thank You Detective McNeil please have security remove everyone from my grandmother's room. If she wakes up and sees my mom there you will have to arrest her for murder."

We headed out to my SUV and started the path to St Marys. When we pulled up to emergency parking there was a officer waiting for us. He walked up to me with his hand outstretched and said, "Cait I am officer omally, Detective Mcneil filled me in on the situation and we have secured your grandmother. The staff from Bridgehaven are en route to help move your Grandmother. Just pleast be prepared your mother is pissed and said you ran away years ago. But we did get a copy of the restarining order and have advised your mother of what will happen if she does not back down."

I smiled, "Thank you officer. I promise I will not touch her unless I have to defend myself. Be prepared though the woman is batshit crazy. Especially since she thinks I skipped town."

Steve opened the door and I walked in. I hear my mother screaming, "She has not been near her Grandmother in years why do you think she has the right to be here."

I looked at the very stressed Dr and said, "Dr I am Cait McClew I am my Grandmothers medical proxy. Here are the papers you need and please be aware although I have no contact with the people out here I see my Grandmother four times a week. Also no offense to you but my Grandmother hates this hospital."

"Cait thank you I have spoken with Bridgehaven and Dr. Montgomery will be awaiting your Grandmothers transfer. I understand the situation after speaking with Detective McNeil."

"So please can you tell me her situation. What is her physical condition?" I asked.

We heard running up the hall as my Mother flew at me, "Cait why are you here you abandoned this family years ago."

"No mother I left the family not Grandma. After all the chaos you caused her she even got a restraining order on you. You know her preference why would you choose this hospital over Bridgehaven." I said. "Officer would you be so kind to see what caused the accident with security cameras?"

"What are you insinuating Cait," The officer asked.

"My Grandmother would not be going to the bank in that part of town. My grandmother is a creature of habit and she was on her way to see me this afternoon," I said. "I believe someone set her up."

My mother swung at me and Steve caught her hand, "Maam I would suggest that you watch what you are doing."

Officer Omally said, "Maam I would suggest you stop this now or I will be forced to arrest you."

"For what," She cried.

"Assault," He said.

My mother took a few steps back and said, "Your going to regret looking into things and causing trouble Cait."

The Dr came into the hall and said, "Cait we are ready to transfer your Grandmother. Will you be riding with her or following the ambulance."

"I will be riding with her," I said. Then turning to my mother I said, "Remember mother your banned from Bridgehaven. That and be lucky you are not being arrested for violating the restraining order again."

They wheeled my Grandmother out of the room and she was awake and pissed, "Cait your never going to believe what your bitch of a mom did. That fucking bitch hit me with her car when I was tricked into going into that bank after she pretended to be me trying to get money from my account."

She looked past me and said, "Officer that woman hit me with ehr car to stop me from identifying her for fraud."

My mother tried to look innocent and said, "Officer she is obviously confused."

Two more officers came up behind my mother and said, "Carly Martin you are under arrest for attempted murder. We were able to view the security feed and heard the exchange between you two."

The staff wheeled my Grandmother to the awaiting ambulance as I followed with Steve. Steve poked his head in and said "Mrs Eddy I am glad to see your awake and pissed. Cait we will meet you there."

Grams looked at me and said, "I think your right about our family trying to kill me. We will need to work on a way to fix that."

I climbed in and the EMT started looking over my Grandmother, "Eddy do you believe that someone in your family is trying to harm you?"

My Grandma sighed and said, "Yes I do. I would not have even been at that location unless I received a call from there. I googled the phone number after and the number matches that of the location. The caller had said that someone tried getting into my account and I needed to come to that specific branch."

The EMT put her hand on my Grandmas and said, "My name is Chloe and I will mention to the staff only the people you and your Granddaughter want can come in. No one at all will be allowed back unless you give them permission to."

Grams squeezed her hand and said, "Thank you Chloe. I guess they are waiting around for their inheritance. Wait till they find out everything goes to my girl Cait here. Oh Cait speaking of I met with the judge and lawyer this morning. The will cannot be contested now. I know you hate talking about things like this but I want to have everything covered just in case."

I nodded when Grams phone wrang and she handed it to me and said, "Be a dear and answer it, it is your father."

I took a deep breath and answered, "Hello?"

"Put Eddy on now young lady," He said.

"She does not want to talk to anyone right now," I said. "We are in the transport and on our way to the hospital she wants to go to. Maybe you should be trying to get a lawyer for mom as she was arrested for attempted murder."

"You have got to be shitting me," He yelled. "Who the fuck did she try to murder?"

"Grandma," I said. "They have security footage and the call logs. They also have video footage of Mom calling Grandma from the bank and insisting she could only come to that location. She is screwed Dad. I hope you were not involved or my sister and brother will be in foster care or with family after this."

"What did you do Cait," He said. "You left town without a word and then all this happens?"

"I never left town," I said. "You remember the last words you said to me? Cait if you leave this house now don't ever come back. Well I never came back. I have been at the same job all these years and you never even bothered to try calling or look for me. But we are almost to the hospital, good luck with mom."

I hung up the phone and rubbed my temple. Grams took my hand and said, "I told them you didn't leave and your mother did not believe me."

Laughing I said, "For Dads sake I hope he was not involved or Sammie and Ben will be going to family or foster."

We pulled up to the hospital and when we did the police were waiting to talk with us. Detective McNeil looked at me and asked, "Can we ask you a few questions?"



Cait McClew- Main Character
Eddy- Grandmother
Steve- Centuries
Dr Montgomery
Detective McNeil
Marcy- Archives worker
officer omally
Bridgehaven
Carly Martin- Mom Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

The House

When I turned eighteen years old just over a week ago I inherited a house. Not just any house but the most haunted house in town. I had not ...