Tuesday, June 19, 2018

The Woods

I woke up to my phone ringing.  It was four in the morning and my phone was ringing. I reached out for my phone and noticed it was a call from my old hometown.

"Hello?" I garbled.

"Molly its Sheriff Simmons your brother gave me your phone number I am sorry for the call so early but I just got back from a crime scene and I need your help.'

"Sheriff Simmons what time is it?" I asked. "It is still dark out."

"Molly I am so sorry its 4am. Your brother Matthew said you are the expert on the local weird." He said, "We had a murder Molly and I am going to be honest with you it is weirder than weird."

That piqued my interest, "Go on sheriff I am listening in."

"How about you climb out of bed and open your door I am on the front porch. I can show you." He said with excitement in his voice.

I climbed out of bed and looked at myself in the mirror and said "Good to go girl he woke you at 4am."

Walking through the house I got to the front door a little bit more awake than I originally started. Opening the door Simmons handed me a cup of coffee and, "Vanilla coffee with nondairy creamer and 4 sugars. Your brother said that's how you like it."

Taking a sip I said, "Thank you. Now, what weirdness do you have for me?"

He pointed to a covered truck bed and said, "Oh this is a present for you. Go open it."

Walking over to the truck bed I  lifted the tarp and saw a hairy beast in the back of the truck. "You killed big foot?"

Simmons gave me a look and said, "We found him dead in the woods."

"Simmons do you realize how crazy this is," I said looking at the creature in the truck. "Are you sure its dead?"

"He hasn't moved since we found him. He is not breathing and it took a few of us to move him."

"Christ on the cross Simmons you cant just drag this creature through town. If he was in the woods there is a big chance there could be more of hi kind watching everything. You need to put the body back," I said.

Buzzing came over the walkie Simmons had on. "Simmons did you grab Molly yet? You are never going to believe what was just found here."

Simmons looked at me and I grabbed his walkie, "This is Molly what is going on?"

"Molly, this is officer Brandt. You are not going to believe this, Farmer Magee just shot a wolf man."

Both Simmons and I looked at each other and said, "What the hell."

I looked at Simmons and said, "Let me get a jacket, I have got to see this."

I ran inside grabbed my bag and a jacket and ran back outside. Simmons was already in the car and was backed out of the driveway. I jumped in the passenger seat and put on my seat belt. Looking at him I said, "What are you waiting for lets see what's going on there."

Simmons looked at me and said, "What are you thinking Molly?" 

"You found Bigfoot in the woods. How far did you find him from Farmer Magees land?" I asked.

He looked at me and said, "Molly Farmer McGee's land backs up to the state forest we found the big guy in. Do you think that there is something causing these creatures to pop?"

Thinking about it I said, "You know there has to be something with these woods. I have heard stories but as many times as I have camped there I have not seen or heard anything?"

"What about Charles he was practically raised in those woods have either he or any of his family ever heard anything?" Simmons asked.

My phone started to ring and Simmons said, "Speaking of the devil. Hey babe you are never going to believe what is going on."

"Well I just saw you hot-foot it to Simmons police car so I am going to assume your not being arrested? But its middle of the night what do they need a story teller for?" He asked.

Laughing I said, "You won't believe me."

"Molly," He sighed. "Try me."

"Simmons found a dead big foot and Old man Mcgee shot and killed a Wolf man." I said, "So what do you think."

"Molly what did you do?" He asked.

"OMG I am not lying wait I will send you a picture of this, Better yet I am going live answer the beep babe." We connected on video and Charles eyes got wide. "Simmons stop the truck now. Molly duck baby."

I ducked as the window behind my head was ripped out as Simmons slammed on the breaks. I lifted my head up and turned the camera on my phone so Charles could see big foot standing in front of Simmons truck. "Holy Moses he looks pissed."

Simmons looked at me and then said, "Hey CHarles your the southerner any idea on what we should do."

I heard charkes through the phone say, "Get out of the now."

"Babe whats going on," I asked.

"Molly do you not see the eyes behind him in the tree branches?" He said as I looked up and out. "Simmons you need to go back now!!!"

SImmons hit the gas and as he went backwards we heard howling and Growling, I turned around to look out the window and saw 5-6 big foot standing in the woods near our once dead friend. "

I grabbed the walkie and said, "Officer Brandt do you copy."

"Hey Molly I copy what's going on?"

"Officer Brandy cuff the corpse now and tie it up," I said.

"Molly your joking right?'

"Officer Brandt Simmons's back window is out and there were 6 bigfoots that we could see as we ran from them on old hospital road. Cuff the wolfman."

"Molly does Charles ever tell you your pushy." I heard Charles say yes through my phone.

"Ugh, what's yours and Simmons's ETA?"

"Five Min why?"

"Umm, the wolf man is gone and so is Farmer Mcgee's cow."

From my phone, I heard Charles say, "Well shit."

Simmons hit the gas and we flew down the country road. When we got to Farmer Mcgee's place we pulled onto the long driveway and got out to walk the rest of the way. As we got closer to the main house we hear a howl in the distance. Simmons looked like he was going to soil himself. Walking over to the officers I said, "So who lost the wolfman?"

"Well Molly you should know not to question the odd things that happened," said a voice from behind me. I turned and saw Farmer Mcgee's mom standing on the porch. 

Walking over to Martha I gave her a big hug and said, "Mrs MArtha I did not know you came back to town. We sure have missed you at the arts society meetings!"

"Hello dear. So the boys decided to wrangle you into this mess?" She asked.

"Yes ma'am you lived in this area for ever. Got any idea whats going on? So far we have Yetis, wolf men and god only knows what else is to come," I said.

"Molly I believe this land is cursed," SHe said. "Since I was a child there has always been weird things that happened. I remember when I was a young girl I swore I saw a mermaid in the river. My mama and daddy said I was crazy but they never let me go there alone ever again."

"Holy Moley Mermaids?" I said. "Martha I believe you. But what else do you know I feel like you are keeping something from me?"

"Molly when it was just me, my husband and my Daddy here before my son was born my daddy told me a story and handed me a journal from his Mama. Inside the journal was a listing of all the magical and what I thought were mythical creatures of the area. She even wrote stories of her interactions with them." She said. "I do have the journal still. Can I trust you to take care of it and return it to me?"

"Martha I will guard it with my life," I said. "Do you remember any passage about why all the creatures would be out in full force."

She looked at me and said, "Yes it stated all the creatures would start to appear when a great danger is to appear in the area. But the thing is it stated that the creatures would fight against the humans as well."

I looked at her and said, "It will be okay. We will figure everything out."

I looked over at Sheriff Simmons and said, "I think we need to get me home and I am going to look over the journal and do some research on my end."

Simmons smiled and said, "Your chariot is pulling in now."

Looking up I seen Charles pull in and he hopped out and gave me a hug, "Jesus Molly do not scare me like that again."

"Baby we are fine," I said. "I think we need to get home and get some sleep."

He opened the door and I climbed in. As we drove home he took the route near the river as we passed near the bridge a woman walked in front of the car and stopped at the side of the bridge. I grabbed CHarles arm and said, "Drive."

He looked at me as he gunned the gas and said, "Molly whats wrong?"

"That is a woman in white," I said. "I do not want her coming after you after the problems we had when we broke up at the beginning of our relationship."

He grabbed my hand and said, "You forgiven me though."

"Babe I get it and yes I have we were broken up," I said. "But you have not forgiven yourself."

"You know why I can't," He said.

"You should," I said. "I broke up with you because of something that was not true. You know that we were broken up and you were drugged. You know that I forgave you instantly. Especially after the police did the blood work on you."

"Still," He said.

"Baby we made it out the other end of that disaster," I said. "Please forgive yourself."

"I will think about it," He said.

As we drove to our home and I saw many shadows in the woods. As we got closer to our home in the state park I said, "I think things are just getting started."

We went into the house and put on some lights. Sitting in the kitchen Charles started to make us each a sandwich. When he placed one in front of me he said, "Its almost time for your alarm to go off."

"Its Saturday," I said. 

He laughed and said, "Well lets eat and go back to bed."

I looked at him grabbing us a bag of chips and said, "Forget that. Lets go put on TV and eat in bed."

We put on the TV and just hung out and relaxed. Before long we cuddled together and fell asleep. We had slept for a few hours when we heard pounding at the front door.

*****************************************************************************
Sitting up I said, "For the love of all that's holy it better be human and they better have a damn good reason why they are knocking at the door."

I stood up and put a robe on. Charles sat up and I said, "Stay here I will be right back."

I stopped at the bedroom door and saw that there was a lot of shadows outside the door. Stopping Charles came up behind me and asked, "What's wrong babe?"

Nodding to the door I said, "Whoever is knocking is not human. Look at the way the shadow moves."

He pulled me back to our room and said, "Get on the bed I have an idea."

We sat on the bed and he grabbed my laptop. We brought up the security camera and watched as we saw shapes and shadows form near our front door. Charles pulled up the microphone near the driveway and said, "What do you all want?"













Molly-main  Charles-Mollys fiance   Sheriff Simmons     officer Brandt   Farmer Magee 
MarthaMcgee-farmer Mcgees mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The House

When I turned eighteen years old just over a week ago I inherited a house. Not just any house but the most haunted house in town. I had not ...