Monday, March 19, 2018

The Hunters

 I am a hunter. Not the one that takes out animals either. If you have ever seen the show about two brothers and the hot car? Kinda similar but we do not kill everything that's different. I am a hunter who acts as a peacekeeper and then hunts if we cannot solve the issue. I was born into this lifestyle. Looking back on my life it might have been easier to not know what went bump in the night. But in all honesty, where would the fun in that have been.

Unlike that show on television hunters have a little bit different lifestyle. We are living in communities all over the world with other hunters. Why you may ask? Why not I would answer and believe me its a way to protect ourselves as well.  The community I live in is near a small little town in cental florida called Brooksville.  From the outside we seem like a small cottage community with a strict and firm HOA and that is how its been presented for years.  

I was heading home after a hunt at the florida border trying to catch a shifter who has been chasing after children and doing god knows what to them.  We finally were able to find the man and rescue a handful of children. But after being a week away from home all I want is to pick up a meal and sleep for a week straight.

I stopped at this amazing local chinese buffet and got a bunch of take out boxes of food, sushi and dimsung. Then not to be outdone I also stopped at chic fila and got a salad and a few sandwiches ad wraps. I was ready to just shower and veg out. I headed home to the compound and when I rolled through the gates I was giddy as I was home. I pulled up infront of my carriage. I grabbed my duffle bag, purse and all 4 bags of food and went inside. I put the food and drinks on the table in te living room and headed to the bedroom and took a shower. By the time i sat infront of the TV and loaded youtube i was ready to eat and sleep. I set everything up to pick and eat and started watching my newest youtube favorite Earlier American.

A few episodes in I started to doze. I thought about putting all my food up and heading to bed but it seemed like to much work.  I loaded another episode and then there was a knock at my door. Groaning I got up and padded over to the door and looked out. Standing there was Melvin the community leader. Opening the door I said, "Melvin I just got back can I have a few hours to sleep?"

Melvin chuckled and said, "Emma I am sorry to bother you but I need your help do you have a few minutes?"

I looked at my food and said, "Sure I have to clean up my food anyway before I go to sleep." I grabbed a plate and loaded some snacky stuff to eat while listening and put the food in the fridge. I offered Melvin a drink and then we sat at my kitchen table.

"Emma there has been a murder," He said handing me a file. "Laura Beckrift age 32. Laura was a professional photographer and was at a cabin north of millings ridge in Georgia. They found her dead in her cabin with no signs of forced entry and only 1 stab wound straight to the heart."

"Melvin why is the Georgia group not handling this," I asked.

"Emma they have their best guy on it but he is stumped. He really could use some help and as you are an expert in the strange and unusual he has asked for help."

I sighed, "I need a day to rest Melvin I been burning the candle at both ends. Tell him to email me everything he has and I will start looking at it tomorrow."

"Thank you, Emma. Your amazing, "Melvin said getting up and heading to the door. "Emma get some rest and its good to have you home."

After Melvin left I washed my plate and headed to bed. I woke up from a nightmare about the new case and I grabbed my computer and started looking to load the case information. It dawned on me that millings ridge is one of the biggest areas that have goblins. I sent an email and questioned if the Woman was actually photographing any particular area."

I laid back down and my phone started to ring. The number was not familiar and I answered the call, "Hello?"

"Is this Emma?" The voice asked.

"A very tired Emma," I asked, "Who is this?"

"My name is Ben and I am from the Georgia group. I just got your email and saw your number. I wanted to let you know that she was actually working in the area doing scenery shoots." He said, "Do you think this was a goblin group that broke in and did this?"

I sighed, "It sounds like it.  I mean who else could pick the lock do the deed and then lock up like there is nothing left to see."

Ben sounded annoyed, "What do you think?"

"Honestly. I need to see her last round of pictures. I have a suspicion, but I need to see her last round of pictures to confirm what is happening!" I said. "I just need another couple hour of sleep or you all will be searching for my ghost."

"Understood Emma," Ben said. "Where do you want to meet?"

"Do you know the skulls Tarvern and Rest Stop?" I said, "I normally stay there when I am up in the area."

"Okay, when do you want to meet?" He asked.

"I will be there by 6pm tonight," I said. "I need to get back to sleep and I will be there soon."

I went back to bed for a few hours and when I woke up I packed up my food to bring with me and headed to Georgia. It was a little after five when I arrived at the Skulls and Tavern Rest Stop. When I walked in Max the owner walked up to me reaching out to hug me and said, "Well trouble I know why your here. I have your room ready for you."

"Max,"I laughed. "I guess retired means you still keep an ear to the line?"

Chuckling he said, "You bet I do. Should I expect anyone to come and see you?"

SIghing, "Yeah, His name is Ben from the Georgia group. Let me go throw this in my room and I will come down and tell you whats going on."

After I put everything in my room and washed up I headed down to the Tavern and got a quiet table in the back of the room. I opened up my laptop and Max joined me and looked over everything. Whistling he said, "Wow Emma whats your theory?"

"To be honest Max," I said. "Knowing the area I think its the Goblins. But normally they would not do anything if pictures are taken. Especially in the state park. So I think I might have to set up a meeting with Genebi."

"Is he still in charge?" Max asked

"Yes he is in charge and is still as cranky as ever," A voice said behind Max

Looking up I said, "Ben?"

"The very same," He said as he took a seat "I didn't know you were bringing in help."

Smiling I said, "Bringing in help no. This is Max he owns the Tavern and rest stop and he is a retired hunter. Max here used to work with my parents when they were with us."

The men shook hands and Ben turned to me. "I have the pictures and the negatives from the victim's camera."

The doors to the Tavern slammed open and two large men walked in. Looking at Max I mouthed, "Trolls?"

He got up and walked over to them and one leaned down and spoke quietly with Max. Max looked over at me and said, "Emma doll these guys are looking for you."

Ben looked at me and I said, "Sure thing Max send these guys over."

The first one came over and said, "Miss Emma I knew your pops and I spoke to Melvin on the phone and he said you would be here. I have some information about the case that bought you out here."

Putting out my hand to shake his I said, "Well its a pleasure whats your name?"

"Its Gar Miss Emma," He said.

"Wait the Gar," I said looking him up and down. "You're the Gar that rescued that bus that went over the footbridge and saved all those kids?"

"I take it your daddy told you about that," He said.

"Take a seat gentleman Gar what can I get you both to drink?" I asked

Gar looked up and said, "A Pepsi would be great we are working so no drinking or driving for us."

Max came over with a few Pepsi's and after we all had drinks in hand I asked Gar, "So Gar how can I help you?"

He said, "We been doing some runs for our boss through the state park and heard about that poor woman. We came upon an abandoned Goblin encampment right after she left this world. We didn't think anything of it except I know a lot of goblins due to the jobs we do and what caught us as weird was they left their tools. A lot of Goblins' tools are passed down from generations before them. Something had to make them leave there was food on the tables and the fires were left burning. I asked a few of my shifter buddies that would go through runs in the area and they said there is something bad going on."

I looked at Max and Ben, "That is weird I know quite a few Goblins as well and they value their tools over their own lives. These encampments would not only hold the crafters but full families. If they all took off like that I agree this is not a good thing."

Max cleared his throat and said, "Emma if there is an abandoned camp we need to let the state sheriff know.  I have not been out to the area in a while but last time i was there those wood were full of shifters and local non humans. The area she was taking pictures was an area that many species felt was a spiritual epicenter to do offerings to their gods. There were weddings and in some species they would have their births for blessings of their gods."

Ben looked up and said, "I sent a message to the sheriff I should get a reply soon."

"How do you know the Sheriff would reply so fast," I asked.

Smirking he said, "Because I call her Mom."

Gar whistled and said, "Well you tell Mrs Madison I said hello. But We need to get going before the boss looks for us. Miss Emma it's been a pleasure meeting you."

After they left Max looked at the clock and called out, "We close in a little over an hour everyone."

Ben said, "How about I come by after they open we grabbed breakfast and head out to the wooded area she had been taking pictures at?"

Trying not to yawn I said, "Sure thing sounds like a plan."

We said our goodbyes and I headed back to my room. I laid in bed and was just about to go to sleep when my phone rang. I didn't recognize the number but decided to answer, "Hello?"

A quiet small voice came on the phone and it said, "Emma please help the monsters are outside trying to get to me."

"Who is this?" I asked sitting up.  

"My mommy and daddy hid me in the cabin and took off to lead the monsters away, My name is Keke i am a goblin we had to leave our camp because the monsters appeared." She said.

"Keke i will help you but which cabin are you in," I asked.

"I am in the cabin next to blue lake. Please help me I hear crying and yells but I am hiding in the closet in the basement. The cabin is locked but I think the monsters are outside." She said.

I grabbed the phone and dialed bens number. As soon as he answered I yelled "come back and get me and Max now. Get any hunters you can the monsters are attacking."

I threw my shoes on as I had Keke on the line. I ran into the bar and told Max what was happening. He grabbed his work bag and as soon as Ben arrived we jumped into the Jeep and I said, "Get us to the Cabins at Blue lake."

As we drove there I kept telling Keke we were on the way. A bunch of other hunters met up and followed us. When we pulled in I asked, "Keke which cabin are you in?"

"The one with the swing set," She said.

I saw the Cabin and we got out with our guns drawn, "Ben I take the front you take the back. Max cover us from the jeep."

I got to the the front of the cabin and saw the door was open. Ben opened the back door and walked in the same time I did. We checked the whole house and I headed down tot he basement. I found the closet and knocked. "Keke its Emma you can unlock the door now."

She opened the door and jumped into my arms. I carried her up the stairs and sat her on the couch. Kneeling in front of her I said, "Keke do you have family we can bring you to?"

"Its okay," I voice said from the door. "I made it back here."

Looking up I saw a male goblin and Keke jumped up and ran to him, "Daddy."

He looked at us and said, "Thank you for coming out. This monster has a lust for blood. When it attacked the site we ran here. We got Keke inside and went to lead it away. I have not found my wife or many other members of our clan."

Max said, "If you want we can bring you back to my rest stop tonight and in the morning we can look for your clan members."

He nodded and said, "Thank you friend. My name is Guriel and you have met Keke."

We climbed into Bens jeep. We went to the rest stop and Ben said, "I will be staying as well. After breakfast we will head out to go look for survivors."

Max got Ben and Keke's Family set up on a hunters room and I headed to bed. I felt like I had just fallen asleep when my alarm went off. I took a shower and got ready for the day, after I was ready I headed to the dining room where I found Max had a small breakfast buffet. I looked at Max and said, "Thats new and most wanted."

Max laughed and said, "Well my girl between you all and my regulars it's a popular item. FOr guests its free. For everyone else we charged $10 and people pay as they can get what they want."

I joined in the laughter and asked, "Does Milly cook all of this as well?"

Milly walked out with a pan of roasted potatoes and put them on the bar before she turned to hug me. After the hug ended she said, "Emma you know if I let Max into the kitchen all you would be eating is sandwiches."

I watched Milly fill a bowl of potatoes and bring them to Keke. I heard her say, "Well little one it couldn't be fries as I have to do a shopping trip but I got you roasted potatoes and they are the next best thing."

She turned to Keke's father and said, "If you want Keke can stay with me when you go with our friend to search for survivors. All I am doing is going to the grocery to get supplies for the restaurant. Besides being a retired hunter like Max I am also a mom so I can tell you she will be safe with me."

Keke's father looked relieved as he held out his hand, "My name is Guriel and I would be most grateful."

Milly smiled and said, "Have Max bring Keke to me when your ready to go and no worries I am sure this will be easier in case of what you find."

I filled a plate with food as Ben walked into the room. He saw the food and lit up walking over to me as he said, "Thank God I am starving."

"Well get some food and join us," I said as I joined Keke and her father for breakfast.

"Good Morning to both of you. Would you mind if I join you both?" I asked.

Guriel looked up and said, "Not at all."

Keke looked up and said, "Miss Emma thank you for staying on the phone with me last night."

"Oh Keke do not worry about that," I said. "I am glad I was able to do that for you."

Guriel cleared his throat and said, "Mrs Milly is to watch Keke so we can look for everyone. I am thankful for that incase we find something that is not fit for the child to see."

Nodding I said, "I understand Guriel. I have known Mrs Milly for years and she helped look after me when my parents were on hunts."

Ben joined us at the table and Guriel said, "I know of some locations survivors may go to. After we eat I will give you the locations on a map."

We ate as Guriel plotted the locations in the map we had and as we were finishing Gar walked into the bar. He came over and said, "I heard about what happened and I would like to help. Emma I am a tracker and can find the needle in the haybale."

Milly walked over and said, "I am sure you can help Gar. Go get food and look over what they have."

Gar made a plate and sat down and Guriel said, "Thank you sir. I placed a red x where people would go. The purple is where our camp was and this is where people popped up and called me earlier today."

Gar looked at the map and asked, "What attacked you?"

"I never saw it," Guriel started when Keke said, "It was a man who looked like a wolf but had the body of a human. I thought it was a man like Mr Keets daddy thats why I was quiet. Until he attacked Murkas. Mr Keets kind do not attack when half shifted he told me so."

"Mr Keets?" Ben asked.

"Mr Keets is the Beta for the blood moon pack," He said. "They may have a rough name but are very kind people. They have tunnels and caverns on their property and every winter we are offered shelter in them. We co exist and while down there we do maintenance and cleaning. That as well as build it out and we split the ore and jewels we find. I just met with Mr Keets last week about planning our next stay. The weather service is predicting an early winter and we wanted to get started early. Mr Keets said his Alpha was thrilled to have us back and of course we could enter early."

I looked at Ben and said, "We need to go there first."

He nodded I will call the mom to arrange it. He walked up to the buffet with his phone on his ear and got more food. When he got back he said, "Mom arranged it they are expecting us."

After we ate and Milly had Keke we headed to the blood moon compound. When we arrived Mr Keets met us outside with his alpha and he said to Guriel, "What happened my friend?"

Guriel explained the events of the night before and what Keke had seen. His alpha Manuel stepped forward and asked, "Are you asking if a new wolf had an issue shifting and came to your encampment?"

Guriel said, "Not at all sir. We came to ask if you ever heard of anything like this in your legends and lore. I know in my heart of hearts this was not something with your pack. We have worked together for to long and I know your people are good kind people."

Manuel nodded and said, "Tell the survivors to come to the cave we will set sentries at the entrance to protect you all. Lets go see the elders in their cabin."

We followed them to a cabin by the lake and Manuel opened the door. A elderly woman came out of the kitchen and said, "Manuel sweetheart I was just planning to call you."

He walked over with a big smile on his face and hugged the woman, "Hello Grandma I was going to call you today as well. We need to speak with the elders do you all have time."

A gentleman called from the far room, "Oh course we do come and see us."

We followed Manual down the hall and we entered the room and Manual said, "Please sit down everyone."

"What is it son," A regal looking gentleman asked.

He nodded to me and I said, "Last night the Goblin group that works with your pack yearly was attacked. After this we search for survivors."

A murmur rose through the group and someone asked, "Who attacked?"

"Thats the thing no one saw it," I said. "Well no one but Keke Guriels daughter. So far only ten survivors were found. That includes Guriel and Keke. However this morning at breakfast Keke said she saw it. She said it reminded her of you Mr Keets. I guess you did a trick once for the younglings where you shifted your head only."

Mr Keets laughed and said, "The kids get a laugh of it but it happens very fast as we cannot just shift one part of our body."

"Thats why she said it only reminded her of you," I said. She said she knew it was not a wolf from here because she has seen you in your shifted form. She said this creature had a wolf head and a human body. She also said she knew it wasn't you or a wolf from here because the human part was thin and skinny."

Manual said, "While we were on our way over I have summoned all the rangers and trackers we will go with the hunters to help search. I have our medical on call and one coming with us to help. Beth and a few younger pack members are readying the caves with some food and wood so the survivors can be brought here. But some of you are close to 300 years old. Have any of you ever heard of such a creature?"

A quiet voice from the corner said, "Alpha I have."

Mr Keets went over and knelt near her and said, "Mrs Penny what is it."

She asked "has anyone else been attacked?"

"Yes," I said. "A human photographer. She was doing photography shots in the area and the next day she was found dead in her secured room. Also Gar here has been told by shifters another Goblin camp was found abandoned and all their belongings including their tools were left."

Guriels head snapped up and he said, "That was Murians encampment. We received word from them a fortnight ago they were heading south to Florida as they had met another pack while a scout was in florida and they were offered the same offer we have from you."

Mr keets asked, "What pack?"

"The sun and moon pack thats in the panhandle," He said.

A gentleman who had followed us and said, "I will call alpha simon sir. Give me about twenty minutes."

I continued, "There is a lake which the photographer was taking pictures at that is a spot of great blessings to many species. Creatures would have wedding ad births there. Now everyone is avoiding the area as it had a wrong feeling."

Mrs Penny gave a shaken sigh and said, "Alpha Manual my room is room two inside in a blue chest on a table can you get it for me?"

He got up and fetched the chest, "Here you go Maam."

She said in a low voice, "My Grandmother was a witch. She was half wolf and half witch. She was powerful. When I was a small child we were sitting on her porch and we heard movement in the woods. She casted a spell and a blue shimmer went all around us. We heard a howl and in the shadows you could see blue sparks from where something was trying to break through the barrier. My Grandmother told me to go inside. She said to whatever it was that she saw him and his evil and his kind will never come through. She cast many spells that night and each spell was answered by a howl. In the early hours of the morning she came in, grabbed a battle sword and said, no matter what you hear do not look out or come outside. She darken the windows with a wave of her hand and the door closed and locked behind her as she walked out. When she returned she was bruised and scratched up. She collapsed on the ground and cast one last spell before she passed out. Less than an hour later members of the pack and her coven all descended on the house and the elder of the coven took what was in her arms and laid it in the chest. When she woke up a few days later she had me climb up and she said. He is the last of his kind and no supernatural creature is safe. He is part human and part monsters. Even the demons stay away. I asked her what he was and she said, The man of many faces. He is human and demon he attacks and kills all supernatural creatures to gain power and strength. But his power gained by killing wanes. Only the true warrior of the world will be able to stop him."

Mr Keets asked, "What did your Grandmother have wrapped in her arms?"

Mrs Penny waved her hand over the box and it glowed, "She laughed and said My grandmother was not the only witch in our family. I am blessed with the ability to shift though and know my wolf. Here my girl take it and look at whats inside. That is why my Grandmother never healed."

I walked over and took the chest and inside was a human hand half morphed into a claw. I looked at her and said, "That is a egyptian sphinx claw. He has been all over this world hasn't he?"

"My Grandmother survived because her wolf fought the poison and her coven did cleansing rituals multiple times a month when it got to bad," She said. "I hope you find the goblins my dear. Do an old lady a favor?"

"If i can Mrs. Penny," I said. 

She reached into her yarn bag and handed me a dagger. I lifted my brow and asked, "What is this?"

"That fucker broke my grandmas sword when they battled that morning," She said. "A mazing dwarf took the blade and crafted it down to this dagger. When you find and kill that monster take that blade and slam it in his heart and tell him that is for esmerelda."

I wrapped my hand around the blade and said, "I will."

Lowering the lid on the chest I went to hand it back to her and she said, "No child keep it. The chest will glow white if he is within a mile of it. The brighter it is the more it will glow."

Manual asked, "How do you know that?"

She sighed and said, "I thought he was coming for me last night because it gave off a faint glow."

I turned to ben and said, "Call your mom and tell her to call the egyptian embassy we need the sphynx anitidote now. As much as they can spare and tell your mom everything."

We headed out and I called Melvin and when he answered I said, "Melvin get everyone on it we need as much sphynx antidote or something that can combat it as soon as possible. Get into the archives and get everything you have on the Man of Many faces."

He laughed and said, "Emma love thats a legend."

"Melvin he is not legend and he is here and killing," I said.

"Emma are you sure?" He said.

"Melvin I have his fuckin missing hand in my arms," I said.

He was quiet and said, "Emma we are on it check back with me in about 2 hours. We have some sphynx antidote here we will get the best witches on it. I am sending half of what we have to you now."

We headed to where Guriels encampment was and I put the box in my carry bag. When we got to the encampment we say the destruction and a few bodies of the goblins. When the pack members arrived Alpha Manual told Guriel "we will bring the bodies back and prepare for a pyre. We will clean and wrap them but their faces so you may identify them there in safety."

Some of the werewolves shifted and i called them back. Manual looked at me and I took the box out asking, "If you smell this will you remember the other scents?"

Manual said, "Yes the would they can remember multiple scents at a time."

"Smell this then if you smell it or anything similar you fall back and mindlink your alpha immediately," I said. "Do not be hero's this guy is the deadlist there is. If he kills you he will gain your talents and powers."

The sniffed the inside and shook their head. Alpha Manual said, "They have it and are off."

Putting the hand away I felt someone watching us. Looking around I could not figure out from where. I pulled my gun and started to slowly turn around and let instinct take over. Ben looked at me and said, "Emma?"

"We are being watched," I said. "I can't figure out from where."

I felt a rubble under my feet and looked up and asked, "Are there caves under us?"

Guriel said, "Yes but they is a five foot barrier of heavy rock. The entrance is a bit away."

"Take us there," I said.

Heading to the the caves we found more bodies outside. Then we heard crying. I holstered my gun and walked to a large tree. Going through the bushes I came to a hollow in the tree and found two young goblins. I put my hand out saying, "Its alright little ones my name is Emma we are going to get you out of here."

They wrapped their arms around me and the little one said, "The bad man is killing everyone. Nana was with us and she told us to be silent and ran out to lead him away. But she never came back."

Holding them tight I said, "Your safe now. We will look for your Nana."

The older of the two whispered saying, "He wants to see in the dark. We saw him kill and when he killed them the person they killed glowed blue and then as they were dying their eyes glowed. Nana said he is killing to see in the dark."

"How smart you both are," I said. "Let us try to find your Grandma. You are going to go with these nice ladies here to the safe camp on the wolves land."

The littlest one held onto my neck and said, "Wait!"

"What is it little one," I asked.

"He said as he was killing the others he needs the power of sight to see in the dark," She said. "He said thank you for contributing to my quest to get the Heart of Mary."

Ben looked at me and asked, "Do you know what the heart of Mary is?"

"No," I said. "Do you?"

"No but I am going to get info now," He said. "I guess I am calling Mom."

Ben went to my Jeep to make a call and came back he looked pale.








Emma- Main   Ben- Georgia Hunter

Melvin- Head of the hunters florida group

Max- Owner the Skulls and Tavern Rest Stop Milly-Max Partner

Gar- Troll

Genebi- Head of the local Goblins

Guriel and Keke- 2 goblins saved

Mr Keets its the Beta for the blood moon pack. Manuel Alpha

No comments:

Post a Comment

The House

When I turned eighteen years old just over a week ago I inherited a house. Not just any house but the most haunted house in town. I had not ...