Monday, March 19, 2018

The Emma Grace Chronicles

 My name is Emma Grace and I was saved by my Grandma Elsie after she realized I was a unwanted child. See my parents were well off thanks to my Grandma and I was the opps baby. Why do I say that? Because my parents had my perfect older brother and perfect older sister. Only if they knew the hard truth about their perfect children at the time. But back to where Grandma saved me. My parents had a huge home. They all lived in the main part of the house and I was in the maids room off the garage. I was never allowed to sit with them at dinner  and had to leave them alone.  I was also not allowed in the house starting at the time they had dinner.  But since I had the maids room I had my own kitchen. My mom would take me once a month to get food for my room and I was never allowed to tell anyone about how I lived.

Then one day I was sneaking some extra food from the kitchen as my mom never bought enough to last the month and she always assumed it was my brother and his friends eating everything.  The doorbell rang out and my mother yelled for me to answer the door. I opened the door and yelled, "Grandma!"

I never saw my mom move so fast in her life.  She came running down the stairs and said, "Mom what are you doing here?"

"Well, Cathy when I was speaking with Emma Grace last week she told me she missed me and I thought it would be a lovely surprise to come see her."

My mom looked like she was about to cry because she was officially busted. "Well, mother Emma is grounded so she cannot do anything. So you wasted your time coming to see her."

I looked at my Mom, "Wait why am I grounded? I did everything you asked me to do and I stay away from you?"

Grandma looked upset, "What did you say, Emma?"

My mom grabbed my arm and yanked me away from Grandma. "That's enough Emma."

I pulled away and hid behind Grandma. "No, I do all the cleaning and cooking.  I go to my room before you eat the meals I make and have to eat microwave food. I am not even allowed in the house because you lock me in the apartment before you all eat. I am twelve years old and have to live alone."

My mother went pale as a ghost. As she did my Grandma looked at me and said, "Show me your room."

I lead my Grandma to the hallway that led to the garage and opened the garage door. I walked across the garage and led Grandma to the maids room.  My room was simple and bare. I had a bed and a dresser. In one corner there was a mini fridge and shelves. On the shelves there was a microwave, toaster oven and a airfryer. Then I also had a small bathroom with a almost non existent shower. My Grandmother looked around the room and she looked so angry.

"Emma do you have a suitcase?" She asked. I nodded and she said, "Pack all your cloth and put all your dirty clothes in a garbage bag. You are leaving with me right now.  Take everything you want as you will not be coming back here."

I did as I was told and packed up my backpack, and 3 suitcases. I pulled one and Grandma pulled the other two. As we got to the door my mom said "Where are you taking Emma?"

Grandma looked at me and then back at my mom and said, "Cathy dear this is what is happening. Emma is coming to live with me.  When we get back to Florida my lawyer who I will be speaking to as soon as we leave is going to be drawing up custody papers. You will sign her custody over to me.  If you or Bill want to argue with me I will take back this house and I will call child services.  It will be all over town how you treated Emma. You will be blacklisted from everything."

My mom looked at Grandma and said, "Fine take her we don't want her anyway."

My Grandma looked at me and said, "Emma you are going to love Florida. You will have a big beautiful room on the estate and you will be treated as you should have been here."

With that Grandma led me to her car. She looked at me and said, "Why don't we go get some food and arrange to fly back to Florida after getting to the hotel."

We headed back to the hotel and went to Grandma's room.  Once we got to the room Grandma sat me down and said, "Emma I am so sorry that you had to go through everything that you went through. Your parents have always been particular when it came to how many kids they wanted. I should have watched them more closely. But you are the light of my life and I promise you you are going to have an amazing and adventurous life."

I jumped up and hugged Grandma, "Thank you Grandma I promise I will be the best girl ever."

"Oh my sweet girl you are the best girl already and you are going to be just fine.  Now, why don't we order some room service while I make a few calls." Grandma suggested. "Then after that, we are going to get you some nice clothes."

Grandma pulled out a menu and had me order whatever I want. I looked over the menu and saw that they had bacon cheeseburgers. Grandma smiled and said, "You know what Emma bacon cheeseburgers sound good. I think we need those as well as vanilla milkshakes."

After Grandma ordered our food I watched some TV while Grandma talked on the phone with a man named Frank. I didn't listen to what she was saying but she seemed really upset. I kept hearing please make it fast and I want them served as soon as possible. By the time she was finishing the call there was a knock at the door. Grandma headed to answer the door. When she came back she was followed by a man with a cart of food. The man set the food up on the table near the windows overlooking the pool. After he left Grandma declared, "Let's eat!"

The burgers were so big and I was so hungry. I couldn't remember when the last time I didn't have to microwave, air-fry, or have cold food. Grandma saw me eating the burger but I had not touched my fries.

"Emma you okay sweetheart?" She asked.

"Yes," I said and then asked, "Did the man bring ketchup?"

"Of course," She said handing me a few packets. "Is that why you hadn't ate the fries?"

"Mom said we cannot eat fries without dipping sauce and I was only allowed ketchup if it was on sale. So I had a lot of plain stuff." I said.

"Your mother is a idiot." Grandma said, "Forget what your mother said if you want something with your food you tell me. You are far to thin for girl your age."

"Mom said I am fat," I said.

"Emma you listen to me you are perfect. Just because your mom had issues with her size you are a pretty girl and perfect," She said.

I grabbed the ketchup bottle and put it on my plate as I ate my fries. Grandma smiled and said, "Thats my girl. Don't you worry when we get back to Florida you will see that things are so much different."

After we finished eating my Grandma took me to our local mall and we went shopping for all new clothes. My Grandma ended up buying another extra large suitcase and said, "We will go through all your old clothes when we get back to the hotel. When you were packing I saw some that were not very age appropriate for you."

After a few hours of shopping, we went back to the hotel and we went through all my clothes. Grams threw out a full trash bag. She looked angry after I said my mom just gave me hand-me-downs from her and my sister dawn. After she finished packing everything up except for my pajamas and outfit for traveling the next day she said that it was time for bed as we have an early morning. She also told me we would get food at the airport for breakfast as we had a very early.

The next morning Grandma woke me up early and had me get ready to go to the airport. I pulled on my clothes and Grandma took my sleep things and put them into a laundry bag. My Grandma made sure we had all our belongings and we headed down to the lobby where they brought the rental car around and loaded our luggage. Then we headed to the airport to head back home to Florida.

We arrived at the airport and my Grandma said, "Emma dear I arranged a special flight on a private plane. Normally we will not fly on a private plane and will fly business or economy but I want to get you back to Florida and settled. I need to know if are you currently in school. Or has she messed with you for that as well?"

I started to cry, "After I said to a teacher last year that I don't live in the main house. She pulled me out and signed me up for home school. I should be in 4th grade now, but I never even finished 3rd grade. but she would not let me go back. She said I was too stupid to keep a secret and I shouldn't have to go to school."

My Grandma looked like she was going to blow up. She calmed down a bit and said, "Emma sweetheart you are far from stupid. The way your parents and siblings treated you was horrible and quite illegal. I assure you you will never have to deal with this ever again. Once we get you settled in Florida we will get you into homeschool to catch you up and then next year we will get you back into school."

I smiled, "Thank you, Grandma! I missed school and my friends."

Grandma smiled, "Well we will get you back in school so you can make new friends. By the time we finish the home school you should be caught up so you can start fifth grade next year. I am so sorry you had to deal with all this Emma."

When our plane landed Grandma and I walked towards a man I never met. He gave Grandma a hug and she turned to me, "Emma my love this is Miles, and he is my boyfriend."

He bent down and put out his hand, "Hi Emma it is so nice to meet you. Your Grandma has told me so much about you. I can't wait to get to know you and I am sure we will be seeing a lot more of you."

He stood up and grabbed our luggage, "Let's get this party started! I am sure you both want to get home and get some stuff started."

Grandma laughed and said, "Well I am sure we will stop on the way home and grab some lunch for us."

Miles grabbed all our luggage and loaded it onto a cart. Grandma took my hand and we were heading through the airport to the parking garage. Once we found Miles car we loaded in and headed towards grandmas house. As I watched the trees go by I leaned against my bag and fell asleep. I woke up to hearing Grams saying, "Emma sweetie its time for lunch. Come on sweetie its time to wake up."

I sat up and said, "I'm sorry Grandma I was so sleepy."

She smiled and said, "Its okay sweetheart. We are almost home but we are at Cracker Barrel to get some lunch before we get to the farm"

Sitting up I said, "I have never been to a cracker barrel! I always wanted to stop but Dawn and Max always wanted fast food and I never got to pick."

"well Emma," She said I will make sure we go to the restaurants you want to try. I like to cook so you will not even have to worry about that."

We pulled up and parked. Miles opened the door to the restaurant for us and I walked into a huge store. Turning back Grandma and Miles were chuckling and Grandma took my hand and said, "This way Emma we will look around here after we eat."

I had never been in a restaurant this big before and I realized now why my sister and brother did not want to come because you have to speak to the servers. Our server came over and took our order, I loved looking around the restaurant with all the decorations on the wall. When my food came I got wide eyed and Grams said, "Its ok Emma If you can't eat it all we can bring the leftovers home."

Looking at my platter of chicken tenders, mashed potatoes and corn. My parents never took me out and this is the first meal I had in a restaurant ever. I started tearing up and Miles looked over at me and said, "Emma sweetie are you okay?"

Looking up I said, "Miles this is the first time I have ever been in a restaurant. My parents never let me go out with them and they always got fast food to go and they never got me anything. I always had to wait till we got home or bring a pb and j with me. They never really liked me at all did they."

Grandma came and sat next to me, "Emma sweetie never think about them again. You are safe with Miles and me. I have loved you since I found out you were born and I will always be here for you. Now dry those eyes and take a sip of your sprite, grab a biscuit and lets eat!"

Smiling I grabbed a biscuit and started to eat my chicken tenders. My Grandma was right I have a different life now and I cannot wait for the new adventures I will have.

Later that night we arrived at my grandmother's farm house on the outskirts of town. When we got out a woman came out and said, "Mrs Elise I did everything you asked."

SMiling she said, "Peria thank you for getting that handled so quickly. I would like you to meet My Granddaughter Emma she is the young lady I told you about."

Peria turned to me and took my hands, "Welcome little one. You are going to love living here and I am here to help guide you anytime you need. Now I am sure you are excited to see your new room. Let me know if you don't like anything and we can exchange it."

I turned to look at Grandma, "My own room...."

Grandma sighed and said, "You are not living in maids quarters here Emma you have a beautiful room right across from Peria. In this house we are all equal and although I have maids quarters Peria has her own room and I use the maids quarters as an office."

Peria took my hand and led me into the house with Grandma and Frank following behind. I couldn't believe how beautiful the house was and when we got to the staircase we went up. Peria stopped at a door at the top of the stairs and said, "Go on in it's all your sweetie."

I opened the door and walked into a bright and large room. There was a huge bed with a bright pink and purple comforter. There were matching curtains on the windows and a purple rug on the floor. On the desk there was journals in bright colors as well as puffy pens and a computer. I walked to the first door in the room and it held a huge closet that was empty. Walking over to the other I opened it and there was a huge bathroom with a tub and a shower. The bathroom had a bright pink shower curtain and stacks of colorful towels and rags. On the counter was body soaps and scrubs. As well as a brand new brush and hair ties.

Coming out of the room I hugged Peria and said, "Thank You I love it."

Grandma and frank were beaming and Frank said, "Well then I will bring your bags up Emma and you can get unpacked."

Grandma came up and said, "Well Emma I do have a few rules. The first is you keep your room clean and you always tell us the truth. I am going to contact the school board tomorrow and see about your homeschool and we need to get you started. You already missed 4 months of school. By golly you came home in just enough time Halloween is next week and we have to get you a costume so you can do the town trick-or-treating. Also is there any activities you ever wanted to do?"

Looking at Grandma I said, "I wanted to do dance. When I was in school we had in school dance class and I loved it."

Frank walked in with my luggage and said, "Well I guess we will have to go to Mrs Peggy about dance classes."

"Really," I said.

Grandma knealt down in front of me and said, "As long as you promise me that you give it a few months to try it out. If you decide you don't like it then you can quit. Just be aware that you might not be able to start until after the holidays."

Hugging her I said, "I promise."

"well young lady you have had a very trying and exhausting day. So I would suggest you take a shower or bath and start getting ready for bed," Grandma said. "When your done with getting ready some find me in the office downstairs and I will tuck you in."

"Okay Grandma," I said. Everyone left the room and I went into my bag to get some Pajamas. I went into the bathroom and just looked around. I could not believe everything that was done for me. I wish that my parents had done even a fraction of this for me. I could not understand what I did to make my mom so upset but I am glad I am here with Grandma now. I will make her and Miles proud of me and I will pay them back one day.

I took a shower and headed down to say goodnight to Grandma and Miles. I found them sitting in the library and Miles had the news on in the background. When I walked into the room Grandma's face lit up and she said, "Well Emma you found us. Are you settling in okay?"

I sat next to her on the couch, "I love my room and bathroom. It was nice to take a shower where the water actually worked and the room was not cold."

Grandma hugged me and said, "Tomorrow we will get settled and I will give you a tour of town. Then we will get you set up for school. Miles is better with computers so we have to get you one as I am guessing we will have to get you one for your school work."

"Really?" I said. "Oh that would be awesome. I am excited to get back to classes."

Miles spoke up from his chair and said, "That's a great look on things Emma. We will definitely get a computer for you tomorrow and get you set up for class."

I yawned and Grandma said, "Ok little miss its time for bed. Lets get you to bed and you can read for about an hour if you want. Peria picked up a bunch of books from the thrift store for you until we get a chance to go to the book store and get you something you would like more."

We climbed the stairs and I noticed a book case with a bunch of chapter books. I grabbed a babysitters club book and climbed into bed, "Thank you Grandma. I will start with this and thank you I love to read."

Grandma and Miles said goodnight and closed the door. I read for a few minutes until I could not keep my eyes open anymore and shut off the light and went to sleep. It was nice to sleep in a comfortable bed in a room that was mine inside the house. I finally felt like I belonged to a family who wanted me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I woke up the next morning I laid in my room and looked round. I looked at the room and felt calm and peaceful. I looked at the alarm clock and saw it was only 7am. I got up and changed for the day. It was nice to be able to chose a outfit that actually fit me. I went into the bathroom washed my face and changed. I cleaned up my bathroom and went and made my bed. Even though this was something I did regularly anyway I wanted to  make sure Grandma knew I was doing it.

I left the room and headed downstairs to explore the house. When I walked into the kitchen I found Grandma and Miles already up and drinking coffee at the kitchen counter. I walked over to Grandma and gave her a hug and said, "Good morning."

I sat down at the table and Miles asked, "Did you sleep well Emma?"

Giggling I said, "I was very tired I think I read a few pages of the book I started and stopped when the pages blurred."

"Well Emma you did have a very busy last two days," Grandma said. "I am afraid you will just as busy today getting things set up. We are going over to the school board today to get everything we need for your homeschooling and then we need to get you a computer so you can get your classes started. We have to stop and get you a Halloween costume as well."

"We will have a busy day today," I said.

"That we will," She said. "So first things first lets get some breakfast. I believe Peria is making french toast in the kitchen."

I hopped up and headed to the kitchen and Peria greeted me, "Good Morning little one did you sleep well?"

I smiled as I said, "Yes and I already made my bed and cleaned up my room."

"Thats a good girl," SHe said. "I hope you are hungry I made french toast and sausages for breakfast."

She put a plate in front of me and I felt shy for a moment and asked, "I never was allowed to have anything but cereal how am I supposed to top this?"

Peria walked over and said, "Never you worry, I like it with Cinnomen and sugar on mine with just a little syrup. Your grandma like its with syrup and Miles likes it loaded with syrup and the sugar mix. How about this We will do one the way I like it and one the way grandma likes it and you can decide."

I smiled and said, "I like that idea."

Peria showed me how to top the french toast and after I had eated both I said, "I like it the way you like it Peria. Just enough of both."

As I ate it dawned on me that I have missed out on a lot growing up and Miles asked, "Emma sweetie you look like your thinking hard about something. You want to share it with us?"

Looking around the table I said, "Mom and Dad kept a lot from me didn't they?"

"How do you mean Emma," Grandma asked.

"I didn't even know what french toast was or how to top it," I said. "They really did not want me in their life and how little I know really shows that."

The adults looked at each other and Peria was the fist to say something, "Well Emma what happened is done. You no longer have to worry about that now and you have your Grandma, Miles and myself to help you along. In a few weeks time this worry of yours will be in the wind like a bad memory."

Looking at her I asked, "Are you sure?"

"I sure am sweetie," She said. "Do not feel embarrassed if you do not know. Just ask us."

Nodding I continued to eat and said, "I can do that."

Later that day I went with Grandma and Miles to get my laptop to start my school. On the way home we stopped at the dance school and Grandma talked to the owner. She came over and knelt down smiling at me asking, "Emma would you like to start dance."

"Yes I would," I said.

"Well we are in the middle of rehearsal for our fall and winter shows," She said. "But I have a student teacher who would like to teach and I was thinking if you want to come on Monday nights you can start being taught. Chrissy is a great teacher and I know you will be able to catch up with the beginners class fast and come January you will be ready to join in the groups for a new dance season."

"Really," I asked shocked. "Thank you I will work real hard I promise."

We went into the office and Grandma paid the fees and took the list of items we would need for the following week. Going to the store we got a few different shoes and outfits. She also got me a special bag, sports bottle and towels for the work out. When we got home Peria took the outfits and towels to wash fresh. 

Miles set up the laptop and Grandma and I went online and registered for the classes. Grandma had called Mom and since mom pulled me out before I was halfway through the third grade I had to do both the third and fourth grade before I could start fifth grade the following year. The school board suggested that I the third through fifth grade and give myself another year. My Grandma laughed and said, "She will be ready for fifth grade before August of next year." 

We got emails for all my classes for the first half of third grade and Grandma set up all the video calls for the week. I was told I could work at my own pace and would have to meet with the teachers once a week to check in for all subjects and electives. We were lucky that I was able to meet the teacher for Math the day we set everything up. After dinner I brought my laptop downstairs as Grandma and Miles were watching television and I started looking at the class work. I logged into the math class and while they watched wheel of fortune and jeopardy I finished the first chapter of Math assignments. Miles sat behind me and said, "Emma did you really just finish the first chapter."

"Yes I did," I said. "I also sent Mrs. Miller an email so I can take the test once she looks over my work and sends me the code."

The rest of the week we had meetings with the rest of my teachers and by the time Friday afternoon came around my Math teacher called and told Grandma that I was ahead on my math. Grandma told her that she knew and was thankful that the Math teacher was so prompt in giving me the test codes. When the weekend came I slept in and when I woke up I cleaned up my room and went downstairs for breakfast. I joined Peria in the kitchen and she made me eggs. I asked her were Grandma was and she said her and Miles went to run a few errands. After I helped clean up the house I went upstairs and worked on my art class. I continued on an assignment that we were supposed do on the paint program. Working through the check list I finished the assignment and submitted it. I took the laptop to go sit on the porch to work on another art assignment and by the time Grandma and Miles came home I had finished four art assignments and was sending an email for the first big project code. 

Grandma looked at me and said, "Emma love lets see your completion percentages."

She looked at me and I said, "See I have been doing my classes correctly. I know this stuff and am happy I am finally back in school."

Miles sat down and said, "Emma do you think you might want to do something fun and relax?"

I laughed and said, "Miles I was working on an art project I was having fun."

Showing them the art projects I had to do Grandma was very happy with everything I was doing. She asked, "Well we were thinking of taking you for a drive down to the beach. Would you like to do that?"

Smiling I said, "Yes! I just need to put my laptop away."

Walking away I did not see Grandma and Miles smiling at me. I put my laptop on my desk on my desk and put on my shoes. When I was ready I met them downstairs. We got in the car and Grandma asked, "Emma how is school going?"

I said, "I worked on an assignment for each class and the focused on art for the rest of the day. I am waiting for my teacher to send me the code so I can do the first big project for the first semester."

"Do you think your on pace to be ready by August to start the fifth grade?" She asked.

"Yes," I said. "As long as I continue through the work like I did today I will be ready by August."

Miles asked, "Emma if we were to go on vacation over the Christmas holiday do you think you will be able to do all your work while on vacation."

"I get to go on vacation?" I asked. "Normally Mom's friend Jane watched me while they were gone and she was not very nice."

Grandma looked up and said, "Of course you get to go on vacation with us. We were thinking of taking a train up to Maine mid December and stay in a cabin near the coast till after the new year. What do you think of that?"

"That sounds so fun," I said. "I don't care where we go, just that we are going."

Miles laughed and said, "Wonderful then I will make the arrangements."

We drove near the beaches and I got to play in the water for the first time. They both laughed when I said, "Its so warm."

Grandma said, "It is warmer then up north but when the colder days hit it will get a bit cooler."



Emma-12(Aug 17) Monday nights dance

3rd part 1-Math 15 English writing science history spanish computer science, art 10

3rd part 2-Math English writing science history spanish computer science, art  

4th part 1-Math English writing science history spanish computer science, art

4th part 2-Math English writing science history spanish computer science, art

Grandma Elise

Miles- Grandmas Boyfriend

Peria- Grandmas housekeeper

Frank- Lawyer

Cathy-Mom 

Bill-Dad

Sister- Dawn

Brother- Max









No comments:

Post a Comment

The House

When I turned eighteen years old just over a week ago I inherited a house. Not just any house but the most haunted house in town. I had not ...