Monday, March 19, 2018

Massies Adventures

 My name is Massie May Anderson and I am a descendant of the Salem witches.  My family has a secret and that is we have been running from those who have tried to burn us since 1692.  See although people say that the Salem Witch Trial was an atrocity, the same people who hunted my ancestors during the trials are hunting us now. So our people are still running after 320 years.  To say I have lived an adventurous life takes on a new meaning as our people can live for hundreds of years. My mother was killed by a group of these hunters when I was a year old and my father and grandparents have been hiding me ever since.  

"Massie May please do not make me come up those stairs," Grandma called from the base of the stairs. "Get moving girl its the first day of your senior year in high school."

I rolled over in bed and looked at the time. I still had an hour before I had to head to school.  I climbed up and jumped in the shower. Once out I pulled out my favorite outfit and got ready I headed downstairs to see what kind of celebration my Grandma planned. I wasn't disappointed as I got to the table and there was a full breakfast on the table.

"Wow Grandma there are only four of us and you cooked enough for an army," I said.

"Well, my sweet girl I wanted you to have options," She said as I sat down. I started loading my plate and then got an idea and grabbed two biscuits and made bacon and egg sandwiches and put them in my bento box. I also scoped fruit into another section. Grandma started laughing and said, "You have plenty of money for lunch kiddo."

"Oh I know but if I get busy I'll have the food with me." I said, "Besides waste not, want not and no worrying about someone trying to poison me."

"Massie dear please don't talk like that you know how serious things are," Grandma said.

I got up and walked next to her and gave her a hug. "I'm sorry Grandma, I know how serious it is but if I can't be a little light-hearted I would not be me."

Grandma smiled, "Oh my sweet girl your Mom would have been so happy to see this day."

"I wish she was here to Grandma. Daddy is so lonely and you and Grandpa should be living your life in retirement instead of here taking care of me when Daddy travels for work," I said.

"Massie," She said taking my face in her hands, "You are a sweet, kind, and loving girl. Being here is better than any retirement that we could have had. Do not think for a second I would rather be somewhere else. Now you best eat and then get in your car and head to school or you will be late.'

Eating breakfast with Grandma was always my favorite daily activity. It became even better when Grandpa strolled in and joked he should drive me to school like he did when I went off to kindergarten.

Looking at him I said, "You mean how you dropped me off and sat in your car all day in the parking lot until my day was over?"

He looked at me and said, "Hey don't knock it that is how I met frank and he is a great friend now."

After eating I grabbed my lunch and headed out to my car. As I pulled in I really hated the fact they took away the assigned parking. I was able to find a shaded parking spot and got ready to head to the gym to get my schedule. Only one year left and then I was done with school. Heading to the gym I heard someone calling my name, "Massie wait up."

I turned around and saw my best friend Kara running up towards me. I caught her in a hug and said, "Well Kara you ready to start this year with a bang?"

"You bet Massie I want out of this town," She said.

Faking a smile I said, "You will have grand adventures."

However, Kara had no clue how lucky she was. After I graduated dad and grams wanted to move to Canada to a witches commune. I wanted to travel and see the world but until the threat against us is taken care of I would have to stay hidden.

Kara got a pout on her face, "So you really have to help out with your family overseas after you graduate?"

I laughed lying, "I guess if heading to south America is a bad thing then we shall see."

Kara pouted, "You said your family travels around South America, that is so cool. Maybe after you get settled I could come and visit you."

"You never know!" I said playing the invite off, "Well let's g et in line for our schedules and see what happens this school year."

We walked into the gum and it was complete chaos. I said hi to a few people while I waited in line for my schedule and was thankful Kara wasn't there to question me anymore about the move. She was asking a lot of questions lately and that worried me because when questions are asked it is hard to keep the lies straight. I will talk to Grandma about it later and see what she thinks.

I finally made it to the front of the line and came up in front of my history teacher Mrs. Davis. She smiled at me and said, "Massie May Anderson I bet your ready to get this year started."

Laughing I said, "Only if your going to be my teacher this year Mrs Davis."

She handed me my schedule and said, "Was there ever a doubt? Now go to the Senior party in the Senior wing and I will see you later on today."

The rest of the day everything felt off. Almost as if the enemy that was always chasing me was right at our doorstep now. When school finally ended I jumped into my car and headed home. When I got there I went to find my Grams to tell her about how I felt today. I found her sitting in a rocking chair on the back porch knitting.

She looked up at me and said, "Child what's wrong you seem like you have something on your mind?"

"Grams i need to ask, How young do witch hunters start," I said.

"Why do you ask my love," She asked.

"Kara was asking a lot of weird questions today and pushing about visiting our 'family' in South America and where they are." I said, "I am really worried because she never was like this before she went away this summer and now she wont shut up about it."

Grandma looked a bit worried and said, "Massie I would suggest no sleep overs for a while. I am going to do a search about her family through the witches coven."

"Grandma," I said. "Do you think that I am being a bit critical on this?"

She looked at me and said, "No sweetie after everything that our family has been through I am going to say not at all. Now let forget this unpleasant stuff for now. Tell me about your first day of your senior year."

We sat talking about classes and teachers this year. When I yawned she said, "Why don't you go take a nap for now and rest. I will wake you when we have dinner."

Smiling I agreed and headed to take a nap. I went into my room, locking the door behind me. Climbing into bed I dozed off fast. I dreamt of mountains and a beautiful lake. In my dream I was walking with someone but as I was about to see who it was I was woken up by my Grandpa, "Massie love Grandma cooked a feast in honor or your first day of senior year. Please come put an old man out of his misery so I can eat it smells so good."

Turning over I looked up at Grandpa and said, "All of Grandmas food smells so good. But come on Gramps I would be horrified if you were tortured any longer."

We walked down the stairs and I noticed my dads chair was empty. Gramps noticed it to and said, "Massie sweetheart you know your daddy has never been right since your Mama passed. He was out working for the coven and he loves you."

I gave a half grin and said, "I understand Gramps I should be as lucky as you and grams and then daddy and mama to met my soul mate. But you are right this smells amazing lets eat!"

Sitting down at the table the front door opened and dad walked in holding a beautiful bouquet of flowers. He called out, "Massie where are you,"

Jumping up I ran to give him a hug and he said, "I am sorry I wasn't here this morning but I cannot wait to hear about your day. I see Grandma made a feast for dinner, I cannot wait to eat I am starved."

Taking the flowers I walked to the vase and grabbed some water, "You think this is crazy you should have seen the breakfast she made this morning."

Grandma walked in and said, "Well Massie come to the kitchen and help me grab the food while your dad washes up."

When I came into the kitchen Grandma whispered, "For now skip over everything that happened with Kara. Let me look into it first so your dad doesn't panic."

Whispering back ok as dad walked in the room, "What are my ladies whispering about?"

Grandma slapped him with a towel and said, "Cant woman have secrets you silly man. Now grab that platter and we have the rest."

Dad did a mock salute and grabbed the platter of steaks and gravy grandma made. We grabbed the sides and headed to the table. Dad sat down and looked at his mom and said, "Mom thank you so much for handling everything this morning I got caught up on a case for the council and lost track of time."

Grandma said, "Your welcome sweetheart, We had enough food for a small army so there is plenty of leftovers."

Grandpa muttered under his breath, "When are there not leftovers."

Everyone laughed as we ate and it was nice to be under the same roof together. As we ate I told Grandpa and Dad about my day and new classes skipping over the information about Kara. After we ate dinner Grandma produced not only apple pie but a cake that said congratulations senior on it. Sitting there I could not believe how blessed I am. I hoped that this year would go by quick and peacefully. Then there was a knock at the door.

Dad stood up quickly and Grandma grabbed her witches talisman from her pocket and she went to open the door. When she opened it she gasped, "Oh my Regina come in what happened."

My dads co worker Regina walked in pulling her son Sam behind her and she looked a mess. Regina and Sam lived a few towns away with her husband. She looked like she had been through battle and said, "Sam had just gotten home from school. Matt and I were planning on taking him out for dinner for the first night of senior year. We were driving through town almost to the restaurant when the breaks stopped working. Oh god poor matt he is gone. The emts got there and there was nothing we could do."

Grandma sat Regina down and said, "Who did it."

"When we got home there was a note on the door, It said we know what you are, leave." She said.

Dad bought her a glass of water and said, "Let's go to the office and call the council."

As my Dad and Regina went into the family office my Grandma sat next to Sam and said, "Sam I know you have been through a lot but are you hungry we just finished dinner, but there is a lot of food left."

Sam looked up at her and said, "Mrs Chloe I am starving. I would love a plate."

Grandma led Sam to the table and sat him next to me and said, "I will be right back."

I put my hand on his arm and said, "Sam I am so sorry. I know what your going through believe me."

Sam looked at me and said, "How?"

"Because the witch hunters killed my mom when I was young," I said. "Think about all the time you had with your dad and how fortunate you were. I know its not the best advice but its the only I can give."

He took my hand and said, "Thank You."

Looking around the table he said, "Man you were all having a party. Then we came in and busted it up."

Laughing I said, "Nah Sam I am glad you came. This was desert after dinner. Grandma does not know the meaning of smaller meals. You should have seen the breakfast she made this morning. I took some to school for lunch and the fridge is packed."

Sam started to laugh as Grandma came in with a plate loaded with food and a basket with fresh rolls. His eyes got big as his stomach growled.

"Tuck in Sam there is plenty more where that came from as well as desert," She said.

As Sam ate we talked about our schools and how our first day went. We had just dished up some desert and were talking about what to expect this up and coming school year when Dad and Regina came out of the office. Regina came over to us and said, "The counsel was able to get your Dads body and they have it at the funeral home. I talked with Michaels family and they are going to let us stay here for a while. Its not safe to go home right now. I am sorry we will have to change your school for right now."

Sam stood up and said, "Mom its okay if we need to stay here to be safe I am alright with this. Besides if Mrs Chloe cooks like this all the time I will be a happy camper."

Grandma started laughing and said, "Finally someone who will eat all the leftovers. Massie if you wouldn't mind would you show Sam up to the Attic bedroom I think he will enjoy that the most. Regina you will be staying in the garden guest room. The views in the morning are absolutely beautiful."

Grandma led Regina to the bedroom and I had Max follow me to the attic bedroom. "When Grams says attic for the bedroom its not really an attic but there is a tiny door outside you room that leads to the small attic she uses for storage. You actually have the best view in the house."

As we walked up the stairs I showed him my room and the bathroom and when we got to the end of the hall I opened the door to his room. I said "Up the stairs."

When we got up the stairs the room opened up and Sam said, "Wow!"

Walking towards the main window I said, "You will love this."

I opened the curtains and the whole town lit up below us. You could also see the lake and river the town bordered. "Tell me you do not like this view?"

He looked at me and said, "Why do you not have this room Massie?"

Sighing I said, "Its a long story."

"Well," He said. "You have been a friend to me all night. I would like to know."

I sat on the chair and said, "Since my mom was killed my dad has been a lost soul. There will be days when he throws himself into his work and forgets about me and life outside of work. He has started to get better with remembering. But when we moved here my Grandma wanted to be near me in case of a attack. That and don't let Grandma fool you she checks on me all the time and those stairs are not good for her."

Sam nodded and said, "I get it."

We watched the stars come out and he asked, "Does it get easier knowing your mom isn't here anymore?"

"Not really," I said. "I was so tiny when she died and I never had a chance to know her. I am more sad for the fact that I had never met her and got to know her."

There was a knock on the door and Regina came in with my Dad. She looked out the window and said, "Wow what a view."

"Sam how do you feel about changing schools and moving in here?" She asked

"What's going on Mom?" He asked.

Dad said, "Sam your mother is worried about your safety and the we had our team come and get the car. The brake lines were cut but not completely. Your mom is worried that they will come after both of you. Mom and Dad offered your mom and you a place to live. Safety in numbers."

"I will move Mom," He said. "Honestly I am thankful as I really did not like that school anyway. People are weird there and as I am a bit different they were not the best with the weirdness. So what about our stuff at the house?"

Dad said, "All your belongings in your room and your moms room are being packed as we speak and will be here by the morning. The remaining stuff is being put into storage."

"Mom," He said. "Dads Guitars in the living room can I keep them here in my room with me?"

Regina looked up and said, "Of course sweetie"

Dad said, "If there is anything else you want let me know and we will have it brought here."

"I want my motorcycle," He said. 

Dad nodded and said, "Amelia not much later you have school in the morning."

Nodding I said, "Okay Dad."

When they left Sam looked at me and said, "Now for the serious question?"

"What?" I asked.

"How would your Grandma feel if we raided the kitchen," He asked. "I only had some of the pie and that cake looked so good."

We went down to the kitchen to get some cake and found Grandma and Grandpa eating desert. She looked up and said, "Food or desert?"

Sam gave her a smile and said, "That Chocolate cake please Mrs. Chloe it looks so good."

Grandpa laughed and said, "Oh my boy it is. Sit down and remember if you sneak down for food in the middle of the night just put it back and wash whatever you use."

Sam sat down and said, "Yes Sir."

Grandma put slices in front of us and we ate and talked with them. Grandpa got real interested when Sam asked where he should park his Motorcycle when it got dropped off. As it got late I said goodnight to everyone and headed to bed. 

I felt bad for Sam and Regina I could only imagine the pain they were in. I lost my mom and not knowing her and I still felt the pain. Falling asleep I dreamt of my mom and the little I recall from the pictures I have seen.

When I woke up in the morning I struggled to get out of bed. Crawling down the stairs I joined everyone in the kitchen and looked at the clock it was ten in the morning and I missed two classes. Looking at Grandma I asked, "Did you try to wake me?"

"No sweetheart," She said. "I went in and shut your alarm off. We have a problem and we need to talk to you. But first eat and drink some coffee."

Grandma put a bacon, egg and cheese bagel along with hashbrown patties in front of me. Sam walked in and went to the coffee pot making him a cup of coffee and when he sat down she put the plate in front of him as well. He looked at me and said, "I thought you had school today?"

"So did I but apparently there is a problem," I said.

Sam stopped and asked everyone, "What are you not telling us?"

Grandma sat down and said, "Please eat and wake up before we speak to you both. I promise we will tell you both everything."

We both ate and when we got a second cup of coffee everyone sat down. Grandpa said, "Do you know what your fated is?"

Max looked up and said, "Its rare but its when the goddess selects a special person for you. Why?"

"Last night I was walking and checking the house," Regina said. "The fated mist was here?"

Looking up I asked, "You and Dad? I mean we know that it can happen after the loss of a spouse."

She chuckled and said, "No Massie. The mist was between yours and Sam's room."

Looking at each other we said, "Well shit."

Grandpa chuckled and said, "But wait there is more."

Grandma looked at him and said, "Really Frank?"

He gave her puppy eyes and said, "To soon."

"Hello," I asked. "What is happening."

"The hunters marked us," Grandma said. "The team went to pack and get Regina and Sam's belongings packed last night. When they returned this morning there was a note that said, We know where you are and what you all are. The council wants us to go into hiding. We will be leaving in a day or two."

"Wait," I asked. "What about our senior years."

Dad said, "Massie you and Sam being fated will mean in the next few weeks your magic will increase. You both have large targets on your back. I will not lose you like I lost your Mom. The story is going to be your other Grandma took a turn for the worse and we had to go. I have started the process with Regina to get your classes on home school."

I had tears in my eyes and I wiped them away and said, "Where are we going?"

"Massie we can't tell you until we are packed and ready to move," Grandma said. "All of Sam's and Reginas belonging are being spelled right now to make sure there is no way to have a tracker."

Dad looked at me and said, "After breakfast get your luggage set out and pack as much as you can. The council will be delivering crates within the hour."

Standing up I said, "Excuse me I am not hungry right now."

Running up the stairs I went into the room shutting the door behind me. I sat in the middle of my room and started to cry. Twenty minutes later there was a soft knock on the door and when I didn't answer Regina stuck her head in and asked, "May I come in?"

Nodding she came in and sat on the floor next to me. She wiped the tears from my cheek and said, "I understand you know. When I was thirteen my Dad was killed by the hunters and I had to leave everything that I knew. My Mom moved me twelve more times to keep me safe. That was before we met Matt and his family. I would give anything to be that thirteen year old girl again and be able to live a life without looking over my shoulder."

She put her arms out and I went into them. Pushing my hair back she said, "My sweet girl one day in the future I will be your mom in law. You can come to me about anything. I know I am not your Mom or Grandma but I will be here for you for anything."

I said, "Thank you. So Same is my fated for real? What does that mean."

She gave a soft smile as she leaned us against the bed. "Well it means your feelings for each other will develop. The mist formed a line to each of you and that's why your so tired today as it connected you both. It was a strong connection as the colors within were bright as well. The goddess chose you both and you will thrive from her blessings both as a couple as well as individually."

Looking around she said, "When the crates arrive I will help you pack unless you want to do it on your own."

Laughing I said, "I may need it but god knows my grams will need it more. Her kitchen and pantry alone will be a mad house."

Regina laughed and said, "Well the council just dropped off mine and Sam's suitcases packed full. Sam is kinda cranky right now because he bike is being shipped. My car is also with that transport and our belongings. Where we are moving we will be sharing a home due to you and Sam being fated. But don't worry I told them we needed a big house with a big kitchen for your Grandma. She stress bakes I noticed."

We stood up and I pulled my luggage out and asked, "So essentials until we get it all to us? I am good at packing a suitcase and they will weigh a ton."

She laughed and said, "A girl after my own heart."

There was a knock at the door and Regina opened it. Dad and Sam were in the doorway holding crates. Regina said, "I am going to see what Chloe would like me to help pack. Sam what are you doing?"

"Mrs. Chloe said to help Massie," He said. "I am not going against a direct order."

Dad said, "I will be back in a few minutes with more crates."

Both Dad and Regina left and Sam said, "After they leave more crates let's talk."

Opening all my of my suitcases on the bed I grabbed a crate and put it next to my closet. Dad and Regina brought in six more crates and Dad said, "We will be by in an hour to see what you have packed. Also Massie is there anything in your car you may need?"

Giving him a look he said, "You keep your car spotless I know but your car is going to be loaded in the first transport."

"No Dad she is empty," I said. "I will have stuff ready to go soon"

After they left Sam said, "This doesn't seem real does it."

"No it doesn't," I said. "I feel like I am falling apart."

He walked over and opened his arms. Going into them he held me and said, "You know this is our first hug ever. Do you want to address the elephant in the room."

I chuckled and said, "We might as well. But while we do that we might as well get to work. Would you mind packing all my books. Just let me get some stuff off the shelves."

He kissed my forehead and I felt electricity. We stood back a step from each other and said, "Woah."

He laughed and he said, "Well i know its not a real first kiss but I guess we felt a spark."

We both laughed as I gathered a few pictures and books adding them to my suitcase. He grabbed a crate and started to pack all of my books. I went to my closet and then went to the door yelling down, "Should I pack warm or cool weather clothes."

I heard Regina call out, "A mixture of both for traveling."

Shutting the door Sam said, "My coat was included but I also have swim stuff and cold weather gear."

Groaning I said, "Lord have mercy. I hope they do not complain I have so many suitcases plus my travel bag."

He said, "They bought me three suitcases and my travel backpack so I think your good you will have the same amount as me. So back to the topic at hand."

"Did you have any idea we were fated?" I asked.

"Not in the slightest," He said. "When you went to bed last night I thought wow what a cool girl. Like you this morning I woke up exhausted and on my ankle I saw a mark that looks like an infinity sign. Do you have one?"

Looking at my ankle I saw a mark and said, "Wow I have one as well."

"So what now?" He asked.

"Get used to each other I guess," I said. "Don't get me wrong your great and I love getting to know you. I guess we let it progress naturally? Do you have any bad habits I should know about?"

He laughed and said, "I am obsessed with my motorcycle. Speaking of which are you afraid of being on one?"

"No I am not when Grandpa was younger he said I needed to know how to ride on one," I said. "I guess his intuition was on point."

"Well what is your bad habit?" He asked looking up.

Taking a picture of him I said, "I love taking pictures to a fault."

"Do you mean I will be the subject in many of your pictures," He asked. "Or will I be the one saving you if you try to get a picture over the rail."

Laughing I said, "Both."

We continued to talk as I went through my closet. Folding everything as tight as I could to fit what I would need in my suitcase. By the time Dad had come back with movers Sam had gotten my shelves done and was filling crates with the clothes that were going on the transport. They took the crates as well as my reading chair. Dad looked at us and said, "We are trying to get as much as we can loaded today for transport. Massie your car was loaded in as well as a lot of the furniture from the living room already. Once that's full that will go. Grandpa is in the garage raising a fuss right now packing up more stuff. I tried to help him but he got cranky."

Looking at Dad I asked, "You tried touching Grandpa's tools. Your a brave man."

Sam whistled and said, "Brave man."

Dad laughed and said, "I get it. Let me know when you have more."

Dad left and when we finished my closet I grabbed all my personal items I use daily and packed them. Sam went into the bathroom and started to pack everything else in a crate while I started to pack up my makeup table. Since I did not have a lot of makeup as I did not use it I filled my bag adding it to the suitcase and kept a few pieces of jewelry out adding the rest to a clothing crate. Then I pulled out the table making sure nothing was behind it. Same helped me move that and my chair over to the pile of crates. Sitting at my desk I added my laptop, hard drives and camera into my travel bag. I put my purse into the top section of the travel bag as it was small. Looking at my phone I had multiple messages from Kara asking where I was. Sighing I texted back family emergency. Grandma walked in and said, "Come one you two its lunch time."

We followed her down and on the counter was a stack of paper plates and all the leftovers from the fridge including sandwich items. She laughed and said, "Eat up we will be having leftovers till we leave."

While I heated up sides from the night before I made a sandwich to go with them. Then I grabbed a slice of cake sitting down to eat. Sam had the same idea and sat next to me. Grandma looked up and said, "Massie doll do me a favor. When you done with your room. Please go into the room Sam slept in last night and pack that up as well. Leave the curtains up in all the rooms we do not need people being sneaky. The movers already cleared out the attic crawl space and please do not forget any pictures handing on the walls. Also both of you please bring your suitcases downstairs and place them nest the fireplace."

We nodded and when we finished we offered to help clean up. Regina said she has the cleaning and for both of us to continue on packing. When we got to the room I noticed my table and all the crates were gone. For the next few hours we continued to pack my room and when we finished we dragged my suitcases next to Sam's. We spent the remainder of the day packing up his room before we joined the family for dinner.

When we sat down Grandpa said, "Massie, you and Sam are leaving tonight. The council is going to come get you both after it gets dark. You will be going the long way to keep any hunters away from you both. Consider this your senior trip."

Looking up Sam said, "Will we be graduating high school?"

Regina nodded and said, "As your fated you will be homeschooled. People who are fated can experience flashes of magic and we want to protect you as well as others. The council will have a national school set up for you by the time you arrive. We will be in a house that has three wings. One for me, one for your family and one for the two of you to share."

I asked, "Do you not need help here?"

"No," Grandma said. "Regina's and Sam's old house is packed and being transported. We will be done here in a day or two and behind you. When you leave a cloak and anti tracking spell will be put on you both. The Transports also will have the same spells placed."

We both nodded and after dinner we continued to pack till the sun went down. When the sun set behind the mountain there was a knock at the door. Dad went to answer the door and came back with a few of the local elders. Mr. Blake came over taking Sam's and my hand. He said, "Sam and Massie you are very special to the coven. Fated couples are very rare and unique. We will do everything in our power to get you to safety and away from the hunters."




Massie may anderson- main

Dad- Michael

Grandma- Chloe

Grandpa- Frank

Regina-Dadcoworker fam friend   Sam- Her son Matt deceased husband

Kara- Best friend thinks we are moving to south America possible hunter

Mrs Davis- History teacher

Mr. Blake- Council

No comments:

Post a Comment

The House

When I turned eighteen years old just over a week ago I inherited a house. Not just any house but the most haunted house in town. I had not ...